New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing a disk of RAID 5 on NetServer LC2000 U3

SOLVED
Go to solution
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Bob,

yes you can but the logical drive in the RAID5 array will not be bigger. You will see some unused space.

Kris
Bob-SNC
Occasional Advisor

That is OK, since both servers I am doing this to are strictly drives that hold databases. One is an exchange 2000, the other a Macola (ERP package) database. Thanks for the info.

Bob
Bob-SNC
Occasional Advisor

Kris,

Will Windows 2000 Server see the extra space?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Bob,

you'll have to create a logical drive first in that new free space. I am not sure anymore if this worked fine when rebuilding onto bigger disks, but if it does then the space will be visible in the OS (Windows in this case) as a new disk in disk management.

So, since it is another/additional) logical drive, it is not seen as unused space at the end of the first Windows disk but it is seen as another disk (i.e. disk 1).

HTH

Kris
Bob-SNC
Occasional Advisor

How would I go about making it so I can see it as part of another drive. I have 3 partitions right now. C: D: E: and an Exchange M: I want to add the space to the E:/M: exchange drive.
Bob-SNC
Occasional Advisor

I replaced the 18 GB drives with 36 GB drives. Under NetRAID it sees them each physically as a 36 GB drive. But my logical drive is still only 36 GB total instead of 72 GB. Any idea how I get NetRAID to add this missing space to my logical drive, so I can then use it under Windows. Or even worse case make it an additional logical drive so I can somehow merge my E:/M drive with it.

Thanks

Bob