New Discussion юеВ

Replication/Mirroring of two VA 7400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lucian Deuter
Occasional Contributor

Replication/Mirroring of two VA 7400

Hello all,

does someone know, if it's possible to mirror (replicate) two identically configured VA 7400s?
If yes, do I need special firmware or SAN management software to configure this replication?

regards

Lucian
6 REPLIES 6
Stuart Urquhart
Frequent Advisor

Re: Replication/Mirroring of two VA 7400

Lucian,

Just use HP-UX mirroring - it works no problems - no extra software licensing required on the array - just a mirror disk license on the server. I believe that when using mirroring back block relocation should be turned back on (normally off for arrays).

I'm curious about why you want to mirror VAs ?

Stuart
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, Stuart is correct. There're no hardware mirroring capabilities. You can mirror VAs only using software. For windows you can create dynamic disks on the LUNs and use w2k built-in capabilities to create mirrored volumes. Looking forward to your questions I can say that VA and Autopath work with dynamic volumes, but business copy does not support them
Eugeny
Lucian Deuter
Occasional Contributor

Stuart,
I forgot to say that we are working only on w2k platform , not on HP-UX.

We want to replicate the VA for physical security. We plan to install the second VA on a seperate location.
Lucian Deuter
Occasional Contributor

Eugeny,

thank you for the info. Now we have two big problems:
1. We are working with Business Copy VA and
2. We are working with w2k cluster service, that doesn't support dynamic disks too.

Do you know any other solution for our problem (see also my reply to Stuart)

Lucian
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Karsten_4
Advisor
Solution

Hello

we successfully installed an W2k (Strech)Cluster (for disaster tolerance). We used Veritas Volume Manager.
Whith this Software you can use Dynamic Disks in a MSCS. So Software Mirroring between two VA Arrays is possible. They dont even need to be identical.