1752305 Members
5287 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Require info in upgrading EVA4k to 8k

Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Require info in upgrading EVA4k to 8k

Hi Everybody, Currenty we have EVA4k with 2C4D config and wanted to upgrade to 8K(2C12D). 4K is currently in production environment. What is best possible way to upgrade without loosing any data. Or I would ask how smooth this upgrade will be?
Does anyone got any step by step upgrade guide.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort.

Bala
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Bala:

Are you "getting" the 8k to replace the 4k? It would probably be easy to migrate the data off using CA, then present the new vdisks to your systems.

If you want to just "upgrade" the cabinet, I am not too sure of the procedure if there is one. It would involve extensive changes... The Controllers, adding in backend Fibre Switches for the disk shelves, etc...

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi Steven,

It will be an in-box upgrade (still decision not made). That means removing HSV200 controller and plugging HSV210 with proper cabling structure for every enclosure. All the new added enclosure will not hold any hdd and this wil be plugged at later stage when there is a need of more space might be after a month or so. My concerned is once the hardware part is over and when we start the EVA for first time how is it going to behave. Can I able to access all the data immidiately after powering on or will I have to re-create all the host and assign permission to access the Vdisk.

Bala
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Bala,

I am not having any documents for this upgrade, But I am sure it exists on the web.

One option you may consider doing is taking config details thru SSSU.

EVA> capture configuration

this will capture the existing configuration of the EVA. You can then upgrade the EVA after backing up your data.

in the new storage again use sssu and restore the configuration.

uninitialized storage> file

You can then restore your data backups.

I should warn you though, I have not tried this during an upgrade. And there may be better suggestions from others here. I am just trying to provide you an idea.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mohan,

Its a good idea to backup configuration file and restore it back in to the new controller. I know this could be one way of doing and I dont see any problem. I would like to follow the best practice or any documents specified by HP on upgrading the controllers. My concern is on the data if for some reason I loose then I would be restoring 16TB of data from the tape which will take time and we will have a down time.
I can do this whole excersise on a week end but its always better to ask 10 times and be perfect at first time. As I will be doing on a production data.

Thank you for the information and help me if you get hold of any particular white paper on controller upgrade.

Bala
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Bala,

16TB of production data - without going into the specifics of your question - my suggestion to you would be to get HP to loan you either a functional EVA4K/8K with sufficient disk capacity to completely mirror (use CA here - get them to give you a loan license too for a week or two)your production EVA 4K to this loan EVA. Configure fabric zones, CV-EVA host setups except may be SSP (or even do the SSP - replicated CA Vdisk is write-protected so no need to worry!)for all your production hosts for your loan EVA.Make this your DR OR "Get out of jail for free" card as this will be the fastest way to get out of a mess - getting into which is not impossible with a complex upgrade as yours!

SSSU Capture Config - great tool - I have scripted this for a number of EVAs to occur nightly - so I fully appreciate its usage - BUT in a situation such as yours - this just covers for the intial setup of your EVA - 16TB of data would still need to be restored from tape (assume you are not in D2D backup setup - even then!) - and that won't be pretty to say the least!

Have you got much exposure to CA Failovers/RSM?

Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

HI Saket,

I dont have much experience on EVA but I have implemented the same on MA8000 long time back.

Bala
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

HI Bala,

There is a question about the upgrades in FAQ.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/eva8000/qa.html#7

This says the upgrade is data-in-place. I would interpret this as no data loss during the upgrade. A quick search in google with this keyword does not provide a positive view on EVA data-in-place upgrades. So you need to wait to hear someone who had first hand experience on this or take HPs help on the upgrade.

Unfortunately I am not able to find any direct document about the steps required for the upgrade, as required by you.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude