1751978 Members
4642 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restore/Recovery to new Hardware

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Restore/Recovery to new Hardware

Is it possible to restore an NT system partition to new hardware, where the source machine has a 3200 Controller, and the target machine has say, a 431, or a 5302 controller ?
I have tried this but when booting to the target after the restore, it is using the (older) 3200 drivers and can't access the disks. Can I manually update the drivers via a parallel install of NT, or can I change the ARC path of BOOT.INI and use the SCSI syntax and NTBOOTDD.SYS to use the right driver and access the disks ?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Restore/Recovery to new Hardware

Hi,

I'm am planning a similar move. We have a ProLiant 3000 with a Smart 3200 and two logical volumes (1 mirror, 1 raid 5). We run NT 4 SP6a. All drivers (Compaq SSD and Bios) are up to date on the source machine (PL 3000). We plan to remove the disks from the ProLiant 3000 box and put it in the new ML 530 with a new but same Smart 3200 controler.

In your case, how did you proceed with the preperation of the new system before installing the hard disks into it ?

JF Martin
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same Question with a Netware 4.11 Configuration
no disk access under dos but netware can see the drive but also
no access
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

With an NT4 system, using your 3200 controller, install the 431 or 5302 RAID controller drivers. Reboot and it sould show up in the Control Panel =>SCSI Adapters =>Drivers as "Not Started". Do your Restore to the new target system. You should be able to boot the target system properly as NT enumerates the HW during the NT boot process, detects that the 3200 isn't there, but the 431 or 5302 is and starts the driver for it.