1748204 Members
3136 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAN Connectivity

vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

SAN Connectivity

Whats the best practise for connecting a server with SAN hp eva 8000.
16 REPLIES 16
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN Connectivity

Hi!
There is a document called hp san design reference guide. This has lots of best practices guides.
There's quite a few things to consider when connecting a server. Operating system stuff, drivers, hba, multipathing.
Is there something specific you are wondering about?
vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

I have a server \\BL20P G3 with processor 2 x INTEL XEON 3.6GHZ and has Operating system 2003 ENT ED SP2 32 BI.

We have Hp EVA 8000, wanted to know the SAN drivers and best practise of connecting the server to SAN as this is my first time in connecting a server to SAN, basically iam into maintaince rather than allocation
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah ok. What you do is:
A) you need to zone the blade to the eva. You may have san switches in the enclosure where you can do this.
B) before that you should install drivers and mpio dsm and manager on the server. You should update the os with patches as well.
C) after these you can present the vdisk to the server. Then a rescan should give you the new disk on the server.

As for best practices there are things like block size on the disk. Queue depth on the hba. There depend on the service you are going to run and you need to do a bit of testing to tune this right. Often though the defaults are ok.
Have the primary path for the server to the eva via the controller that owns the vdisk on the eva.
vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much....i would be performing the activity tomarrow and will update you about the details

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

No problem good luck :-) if you have any questions tomorrow you can post in this thread i'll try to reply if i'm awake.
vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

I have installed the mpio dsm drivers and have rebooted the server, logged back and no virtual disk is listed, i have unpresented and presented the disk back but still same issue, i have rescanned the disk but no go.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good morning,
is the server zoned in with the EVA?

when you add the host in Command View - did the EVA find it automatically or did you add the wwn manually? When you added it, which OS type did you chose?

What kind of HBA do you have? For Qlogic there is the tool sansurfer and for emulex the hbanywhere. These you can use to troubleshoot more.

Did you install the hba drivers and MPIO manager as well?
vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

Good Morning,
yes the server is zoned in EVA, earlier server was connected to HP EVA 8000 and we have formatted the server and need the SAN connectivity back.

I have installed the Mpio Dsm drivers but not the HBA drivers,let me search for the HBA drivers

vaseemuddin
Occasional Advisor

from where should i install the HBA drivers for Qlogic