4805 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SC10 - HDD repleacing problem

Peter Kanchev
Occasional Advisor

SC10 - HDD repleacing problem

Hi all!
I had a problem with repleacing HDD in a SC10 storage.
When i prug new disk in the storage, disk next to it "hung" - it start to "ticking" az a clock, led lit on!
All HDD I/O on the machine(L2000) SC10 is connected to hang too(even shutdown command)!
After removing and pruging back that disk started to work just fine and things are OK.

I'll be thankfull for any sugestion about the reason of that behavior!

Thank You!
Peter K.
6 REPLIES 6
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

The SCSI driver probably issued a reset on hte bus and the disk beside didn't respond correctly/in time. Not much to worry about.
Check your syslog.log for information.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Peter,
as I understand now it works fine. What could it be? Maybe hotplug was handled incorrectly or disk was plugged badly?
Anyway, I would propose to check all disks' firmware to be the latest and BCCs firmware (HP05) to be the latest
Eugeny
Peter Kanchev
Occasional Advisor

Thank You Bill and Eugeny!

Well Bill, it is working fine but what if I need to add od repleace onother disk!? Will the same situation appear again? Maybe i was just lucky this time, but next...

Correct me if i'm wrong but as i remember SCSI resset is normal when hot pluging disk (if it is set on BCCs) to force new disk including.

About incorect pluging - not the one i pluged in made the problem, but the other one, next to it.

I'll check firmware versions and i'll try to update it as soon as it's possible.

Finaly i remember a service note about some problems with BCCs (with S/N USMM000... to ...) but those in encolsure are not in that range.

Thank You again boys!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Once it happened to me... unfortunately the disk casing was not installed well on te disk, so when I tried to install it on a live SC10, I had some nasty SCSI resets happening... Then I mended the casing and it slotted fine with no problems. Usually, though, it works just fine.

I think it is was one-off case. But I wouldn't know exactly, could be another thing.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Peter Kanchev
Occasional Advisor

Well Vincent...Yuo make me a lil bit happier!

:o) Just a lil "hammerwork" and the problem will be fixed! :o)

But thank You Vincent. I'll check taht - there are reason i think!!!
Peter Kanchev
Occasional Advisor

Whell guys,
I made samo experiments and it seems to be just 1 accidently falt. To be honest - i still don't know why it happened! But i tried to remove, rpleace and add HDD's in SC10 - no more faults ot strange behavior of units.
So...
Thank You all for Your advices. I'll close this case for now but i'll leave this "conversation" opened, so if someone have any other ideas - feel free to shere it with us.

Peter K.