4267 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SDM Command failed.

Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

SDM Command failed.

Folks,

Four months ago, I was able to install the SDM software and use "launcher" to configure two new LUNs in the VA7100. I was able to use "armdsp -i" to view the status of the array as well. But now I am no more able to use launcher, nor armdsp, nor cvui to view the configuration/status of this array.

I got the following error when using launcher:

102. An error occurred while trying to connect to the database. No devices will be shown. Error getting database reference.

And:

Init error for device: localhost: . Init Error: Initial Device Exception. Verify device is powered on and connected.

Using "armdsp -i", I received this error:

Failed to open target localhost: Error logging in: Timeout expired.

The serviceguard packages have no problem seeing the LUNS and activating them.

I have tried armdiscover with no success (it could not see any device!!!). My last solution is to remove the SW, clean up /opt/sanmgr, /var/opt/sanmgr, and /etc/opt/sanmgr then reinstall the SW. However, I am open to your suggestions before I try this option last.
Thanks.

Hai
18 REPLIES 18
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Please check your configuration... specifically, do you lave a LUN 0 that is small (say, 10MB) that is write/configure for all hosts, and also check your LUN Security settings.

What does armdiscover say?

No matter where you go, there you are.
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

Thanks for your reply.

LUN0 is 50MB, used for nothing but communication with the server. Security settings by default is disabled and I believe that it remains disabled.

And here is the output of armdiscover:

Failed to obtain remote database interface to host: localhost

Hai
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Something's amiss...

I haven't seen that message before, but knowing that the arm commands can and do talk over TCP/IP at times and there's a reference to "localhost" and databases in the message, I think you've got something going wrong with your networking, or at least with the networking configuration of the arm commands...

What version of Command View SDM do you have? What kind of host is this running on? What other hosts to you have in your environment? Do you have CommandView on more than one host?
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

- SDM version: 1.04 loaded only on rp5450 with VA7100 attached.
- Platform: HP-UX 11.0
- Server: rp5450

Anyway, I have solved the problem which has something to do with "localhost".

My lookup order is "files dns". I noticed that localhost. can be resolved by DNS. As soon as I used only "files" for lookup, armdsp and launcher were back to work. That will be my workaround when I need to configure more LUNs...

Hai
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Aha!

Your DNS should not resolve localhost... that's an error in your DNS configuration. Check your DNS server's config. You should not have an A record for localhost.

...I suppose if you used this:

127.0.0.1 IN A localhost

it *might* work, though.

Good luck!
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

I did check with a DNS/BIND document and I am convinced that "localhost" is a valid entry in DNS (DNS and BIND by O'Reilly) whether or not SDM likes it.

Hai
Paul Barmettler
Frequent Advisor

Hi Hai,

maybe it's a silly question. But can you see anything from the VA when you use "ioscan"?
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Neuhaus,

Yes, ioscan shows all the LUNs on VA7100.

Hai
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Hai,

"localhost" is a "special" name in TCP/IP, and according to the RFCs, must always be 127.0.0.1 on every host. If your DNS is returning any other address for "localhost", then you have a problem in your DNS configuration. "localhost" is a synonym for the current host, like a loopback interface.

If your DNS is configured to give any other address for localhost, I would think you would have other software act strangely as well as the arm commands.

I suppose it's valid to have a "localhost" entry in your DNS, (as long as it's 127.0.0.1) but it's very non-standard. Normally, it appears only in /etc/hosts. This is mostly due to performance reasons - it's faster to resolve the address from /etc/hosts than it is to talk to a DNS server.

Good luck!