New Discussion юеВ

SMA 30 with two servers connected?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John van_2
Frequent Advisor

SMA 30 with two servers connected?

Hi,

Is it possible to connect two Proliant DL320's to a Dual Bus SMA 30 Modular Array each having access to particular drives? I have read info which suggests it is, but have just had a reply from HP support to say it isn't.

Thanks,

John
5 REPLIES 5
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: SMA 30 with two servers connected?

Technically it is possible.
But if HP says it isn't then they probably will not support it in case of problems
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

Could you tell us which generation DL320 it is, As per the quickspecs the of DL320 G5, I see it supports the MSA30 on SA642/6402. and I don`t see any specific server listings under the MSA30 quickspecs So I belive it should work, as SA6402/642 is a supported controller for DL320 as well as MSA30. Below are the links for reference.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12572_na/12572_na.html

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11738_na/11738_na.html

I hope it helps.
Andy
John van_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Andy. I have the DL320G5 with a SmartArray 6402/128 controller. It does say in the specs on the MSA30 in the link you provided:

Dual Bus I/O Module: The dual bus I/O module allows two SCSI channels to access a single MSA30. This allows for greater fault tolerance (controller duplexing) or provides access from two different servers to two separate storage areas.

The last bit suggests it will do what I need. I have forwarded the quote to HP support and will let you know what they say.

John
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi John,

The MSA30 Dual Bus, has 14 drive slots, 7 connected to one bus and 7 to the other.

Therefore one of your SmartArrays will be able to see the 7 left hand drives, the other the 7 right hand drives.

As long as you don't want one server to see the other server's drives you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
John van_2
Frequent Advisor

Yes it does thanks Rob. It will be interesting what the HP support people say after telling me previously it can't be done. I'll post their reply.

John