1748051 Members
5165 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STSYS HAS BEEN LOST PROCEED?

Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

STSYS HAS BEEN LOST PROCEED?

We've logged a call I just thought I would ask you folks too, in case anyone has seen this before.

We have an EVA3000, this morning both controllers were displaying the message above.
We cannot see the filesystems that are on that EVA and on the SMA it shows as an Unintialised Storage System.

Any thoughts?

This is a live server so I'm naturally feeling a little worried.

Thanks to all that can share any experience they have of this sort of thing.

I've posted in this forum as I know there is more activity here.
8 REPLIES 8
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

From the SDM server, does armdiscover identifies the EVA?
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

SDM server, sorry please clarify, what does SDM stand for?

There is a discover button on the main page of the command view eva main page. Although I've just heard that an engineer with some experience of a problem like this will be with us in a hour, so I might wait for his arrival.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

SDM is short for Storage Device Management.

Unfortunately, RAC has confused the EVA with the VA storage array. Neither CV-SDM nor 'armdiscover' apply to the EVA.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Uwe and RAC,

We had a VA before the EVA so I am familiar-ish with armdiscover (I've certainly used it). It is all these acronyms that get me.

I'm in a bit of a do something, do something, do something loop at the moment.
I'm trying to hold off in case I do something that makes matters worse.

Have you seen or heard of this sort of thing before?

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, sorry, that message is new to me.

I agree that it does not sound like a good idea to take hand at the box in its current state - some expert _might_ be able to do a wonder. Please let us know anything you found out.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

We have backups at various stages during the weekend. Unfortunately not a cold backup as that one failed, still there is hope if that ends up being the route we have to take.

Thankyou for your interest I will keep you informed of the eventual resolution (and progress) if I can.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Well it seems we are (well over) due a VCS upgrade.

We're running 3.010... and that means that a disk problem can turn into a major outage, at least that is my understanding.

I'm afraid I cannot give the details as I was not watching the engineer's every move.

Seems to me that he analysed all the disk enclosures then systematically power cycled them, then rebooted controllers and last the SMA, although there could well be alot more to it than that.

In short it is now all up and running and I am greatly relieved and pleased to have a system again.

We will be upgrading to a newer version of VCS as soon as we can.

Thanks for all your help.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Hoorah for engineers!