New Discussion юеВ

Re: Secure Path - Storport - Windows 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Secure Path - Storport - Windows 2003

Hi,

We are planning to implement W2K3 MSCS with Securepath on Compaq DL380+MSA1000 Fibre Arrays (With SAN Boot). As per my understanding this kind of configuration will require 4 FC HBAs on each host. But in one of the micosoft SAN Boot white papers I learnt that it is possible with just 2 HBAs. You can download the Doc. from the following link,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/san.mspx

Has any one setup a W2K3 Cluster with the Storport driver? What are all the supported HBA types for this kind of configuration. Where can I get the Storport driver for Qlogic HBAs. ( I found a link for Storport driver for Emulex cards but what we have ordered is a Qlogic HBA). Any additional information on this is welcome.

Thanks,
Karthik S S

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
8 REPLIES 8
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Any more inputs on this??

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor
Solution

I can't help with regards to the StorPort drivers and such, but I have successfully setup Win2k3 clusters with MSA1000s and EVAs.

You are correct that you only need two HBAs per server head for a NSPOF (No Single Point of Failure) configuration. Of course, you could add additional HBAs and that won't hurt the configuration. The multi-pathing software (Secure Path) can handle multiple HBAs and paths to the storage.

By using more than two HBAs, you would be adding to the availability. But the downside is that you would be causing yourself more work and headaches with regard to SSP (Selective Storage Presentation). For example, you now have more ports and WWNs you have to account for, whether in your MSA's connections in the SSP section, or inside your switch when doing Zoning.

The MSA supports the following HBAs for Windows 2003:

- FCA2101 (245299-B21)
- FCA2214 (281541-B21)
- FCA2214DC (321835-B21)
-FCA2404 (305573-B21)
-FC Mezzanine Card for BL20P (Blade server)

By using a Qlogic, you are venturing into uncharted territory. If you call into support for help, the array team will not be able to help you (because that is not a qualified configuration).

This would also explain why there are only StorPort drivers for Emulex HBAs. Since Emulex is the only qualified HBA, no work will have been done around such functionality for a Qlogic HBA.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that..

In your setup do you have the Clusters nodes booting from the SAN or local disks??. Because, as per the information I have it is not possible with just 2 FC HBAs. I may be wrong ... Kindly clarify.

Thanks,
Karthik S S
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

I am booting from local disks, and not the SAN.

However, I noticed that the MSA configurations do claim to support "boot-from-SAN" on *all* those HBAs that I listed earlier. You will just need to make sure you are using the proper firmware versions, etc., on those Emulex HBAs.
Rupin

Secure Path does not claim storport support as yet. I would recommend sticking to scsiport for now, Microsoft's storport technology and Hba storport miniport's are not fully baked as yet.

Rupin
M. Gjaltema
Advisor

I have the same situation. I want to boot my cluster nodes from the san (ma8000) and also want the data disk from the san. I have read the "boot win32 from san app notes" document and you need 4 hba's with SCSIport drivers. At the end of jun '04 the StorPort drivers will come available for the fca2101 (confirmed by HP today). With the StorPort drivers you only need 2 hba's.

You also need securepath 4.0c SP1.

Can some body help me with Beta storport drivers for the fca 2101 and securepath 4.0c sp1 beta, so I can setup the configuration for some tests.

Please keep us up-to-date!
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcel,

You can get the latest drivers for FCA2101 from,

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/fca2101/

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=315735&locale=en_US&taskId=135&refresh=true&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=315733&swEnvOID=181#655

let me know if that helps you,
-Karthik S S
M. Gjaltema
Advisor

Hello Karthik SS,

This are only SCSIport drivers. No StorPort drivers.

Regards,