1753409 Members
7172 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Security datawiping XP256 disks

Geoff Brown
Frequent Advisor

Security datawiping XP256 disks

We have an XP256 & need to erase the data from all of the disks (that is, we need to be able to write a verifiable data pattern {zero's, all ones etc}).
Is this something that can be done from the integral laptop, or would it be necessary to to configure the XP256, & write the data pattern from a server?
We have no need to run these units after they have been datawiped.
Is there any config data for these units available?
Thanks
Geoff
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Two methods:

1. Mount all LUNs to a server and do a dd or copy command to fill them up.

2. Initialize all Array Groups from the laptop. Set a raid level and ldev type and go!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

1. mediainit can format the LDEVs if they are visible to a host. However it will not be able to write verifiable data pattern.

2. Through SVP, create the LDEVs again using some emulation mode say Open E and some RAID level. This should format the data.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Robert Young_9

The way I would approach this would be to present all of the LDEVs to servers, and then use a data wiping tool purchased from a recognised security vendor, such as Symantec or PGP, to wipe the disk space multiple times. Three times should be enough for most people but it does depend on how sensitive the data is. This cannot be done using the SVP.
Geoff Brown
Frequent Advisor

Thank's for the advice. I am still looking at the options, & may come back with more queries later.
Rgds
Geoff
Bill Faulk
Occasional Advisor

I've used "Darik's Boot and Nuke" for non-array disks. You can make a linux boot floppy which provides several options for securely wiping disks. I don't know if it would be able to wipe an XP256 without manually editing to add a linux driver.

It can be found at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/