108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Share FC60 between 2 HP servers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Share FC60 between 2 HP servers?

Is it possible to share an FC60 between 2 HP servers in a non-MCServiceGuard environment? If so, how is the connection made, how is the data on the disk accessed (i.e. does it appear as a local file system or is it accessed via NFS)?

Pete
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You can have multiple hosts use the FC60, but I'm not sure how it is done. Maybe with a fibre switch? I'd contact your local HP office for assistance.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you can connect 2 HP servers to a single FC60 diskarray. I think this can be achieved through a full-bus / split-bus BCC configuration. If you have two controllers, then configure different sets of LUNS for each controllers, instead of configuring the second as a reduntant one. You can also share it through a FC-hub. But make sure that it doesn't conflict, while creating VGs.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

See this for DIP switch settings:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg30008.html

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Anu Mathew
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Pete,

This also refers to the question that you put in to one of my queries on FC60.

In our systems, we use FC hub for connecting FC60 to multiple systems. Please refer to the attached document for a simple diagram.

The LUNs appear as local disk drives, not as NFS shares. You need to create PV,VG and then LVs on those LUNs.

You can avoid the hub and connect each FC adapter of each system to the FC60, but will be reducing redundancy options on the Fibre path.

A couple of other points I consider worth mentioning are:

1) Ensure that the Host IDs for each controller modules are unique, in case you have multiple FC60s and want to connect to more than one HUB. This will make sure that you dont have a collision in IDs.

2) Cascade the hub. We had issues of systems not able to view the other set of disk drives.

hope this helps,

Anu Mathew
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks to all, and especially to Anu. My VAR's technical person told me this couldn't be done - I guess I won't be buying any FC hubs from him.

Anu -

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "cascading the hub"?

Pete

Pete