1753809 Members
8306 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shared FC60 Software Needs and Topology

Chris Watson
Super Advisor

Shared FC60 Software Needs and Topology

I currently have an L1000 and FC60, connected by two fiber cards point 2 point.

I am ordering an indentical set of hardware as a backup, but thought I might stick with a single FC60.

I will go on a training course if we go with this setup, but in the meantime, could someone clarify what the software requirements would be to enable robust sharing of the FC60, and an indication of software cost would be great.

More importantly, my sweetspot of sharing the FC60 only works if I buy a single switch. I will have two cards in each box, and with the two ports on the FC60, that makes 6 ports populated on the switch. Question, is connecting BOTH ports of each box to the SAME switch. I realise that the failover coverage stops at the point of a single switch, but I can cope with that, if at least the config is supported.

Finally, can I slip in a fiber connection to an Ultrium, and/or a connection to a PC Netserver (would this involve having different software?)

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards

Chris Watson
Moving along nicely
2 REPLIES 2
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Chris,

your backup server, will it be running while the other server (I guess the production one) is running? The reason I ask, is because they both can't have the same devices open.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Chris Watson
Super Advisor

Most of the time they will both be running, with separate luns, but if the mainserver failed in certain circumstances I might want to attach all luns to the backup machine. So no contention should occur. And as the sole admin, no one will be messing with the vgs/luns.

Do a have any problem with lips if I reboot the backup?

And oh, can I set either server to boot off the FC60?

Moving along nicely