1748252 Members
3938 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 221 Array Expansion

twhite_1
Visitor

Smart Array 221 Array Expansion

I'm trying to expand a 3 disk, 18GB array on a Smart Array 221 controller. I've tried using the Windows ACU and it not possible. Can I run the ACU from the BIOS and expand the array?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Theo,

Can you explain your existing config in more detail (No. of HDD, RAID level e.t.c), and what you want to change it too.

I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
twhite_1
Visitor

Proliant 1600, Dual PII 400Mhz Processors, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 Server SP4, Four 18.2GB Hard Drives. 3 of them in a Raid 5 Array (two paritions). I want to take the spare drive and add it to the existing array to increase disk space.

Also, is it possible to shut down the server, upgrade the Smart Array 221 to one that will allow Array Expansion within Windows, and then reboot the server and have the new card recognize the current Array Configuration?
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

It is possible, but remember that if you can replace sa221 with newest one (530x, 640x,..), you must FIRST install drivers for that controller.
Steps:
1. Add new controller (disk drives still on 221)
2. Install drivers for new array controller
3. Connect drives to new controller and boot server
4. rebuild array
5. connect again to 221

regards,
Andrzej Kowalik
twhite_1
Visitor

I assume that rebuilding the array with the new controller will delete all the data that currently resides on the drive?

If that is the case, then can I run ACU (hitting F8) and expand the array with the SA221 without having the upgrade the card?

Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Expanding and extending array from array controller level not destroy data on disks.
However, it is good idea to backup all your data before such operation :))

regards,
Andrzej Kowalik
twhite_1
Visitor

Also, doesn't the RAID information exist on the drives so that installing an upgraded controller (if the drivers for the new array is already installed) should recognize the RAID Array information without having to rebuild the array again and lose data?