Disk Enclosures
1752794 Members
6859 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 3200 and Maxtor Atlas disk

Ulf Holt

Smart Array 3200 and Maxtor Atlas disk

I have a Proliant ML330 server with a Smart Array 3200 controller and 5 IBM SCSI disks - 2 x 9 GB and 3 x 18 GB (RAID 5). One of the disks in the RAID 5 set failed, and I tried to replace it with a Maxtor Atlas 36 GB disk. Checked that SCSI ID was correct before proceding. Problem is that this killed the SCSI channel, and none of the disks were available anymore. Replaced with the defect disk, and can now access the RAID 5 set (but the disk is, of course, still dead).

Is this a known problem? As far as I understand it should be OK to use a lager disk instead of the original 18 Gb.

Cheers

Ulf Holt
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Array 3200 and Maxtor Atlas disk

Ulf, this is not a Hot Swap set up then? All internal drives? (since you say you are setting SCSI ID's). But it does sound like there is a conflict, either in the bus or ID of the new drive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Ulf Holt

Re: Smart Array 3200 and Maxtor Atlas disk

I have checked that the SCSI ID is correct, but there might, of course, be some obscure jumper setting which I don't know about. A friend of mine working at HP said that he hard heard that there had been problems with Maxtor and Smart Array 3200, but this might be a rumor. I will try with an IBM disk, and see if that solves the problem.

Cheers

Ulf Holt