5971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 3200

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Bielot

Smart Array 3200

I have a Proliant 3000 w/a Smart Array 3200 connected to (5) 18gb drives. Drives were partitioned as 4gb (os), 40gb (data 1), 17gb (data 2) (sizes approximate).

Server running winnt 4.0/sp6a. Server crashed, and NT wouldn't boot. BSOD - Stop 0A error. Tried a bunch of things. Installed drives in a Proliant 5000 in the 2nd raid cage. Can access the os partition, but not either of the data partitions. Disk administrator says they are unknown.

Any suggestions as to how I can access them to save some data which is important, but had changed from the last backup?

Thanks.

John
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Array 3200

DO you have the SmartCD to boot from? My guess is that you had more than one drive fail or bad sectors. I would boot from the cd and check the array and see if you can recover
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John Bielot

It was the oddest thing. I ended up searching for the raid config, and it found all the drives (?) and fixed the problem. Looks like the raid config was damaged. It's odd that it knew about all the partitions and the correct sizes though.

John
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would run a Consistency Check and examination of the disk system on a stripe-by-stripe basis to verify that data and parity are valid. It is a good practice anyway, to remove any bad sectors from the disk.

FYI, the Partition information is part of the OS and not related to the RAID configuration. also the structure of the RAID can be recovered as long as the drives are not physically move. That is the drives could be removed and replaced and as long as they are in the same location and order and you select them i nthe congiuration in the same manner and order the array will be restored.
Hot Swap Hard Drives