Disk Enclosures
1752788 Members
6278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 431? Check your cache!!!

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart Array 431? Check your cache!!!

The Smart Array controller 431 is supposed to have 16MB read cache...but none of the 3 we recently received for installation in new servers is showing more 2048K (2MB). We updated the firmware to the latest available (v1.18) using SP12986.EXE, but the results are the same - the Array config utility only has 1 option for cache - 2MB READ - and it shows the same in the BIOS and ACU.

CPQ Tech Support stated that replacing the board is the only way to fix the problem, that there is an 'internal document' on the problem, but would give no other details. I ordered replacements, which were in stock at time of order...but now the ETA is 02.10. Am I taking a chance installing an OS with the 431 in the condition it's in, or is it safe to assume that the replacement card will read the configuration from the drives (as long as they are not moved)? Please advise.

Please post URL to documented information on this problem when available.

Thank you,

mk
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The controller has 16 MB of d-RAM that is used for code, data, buffers, and read-cache. Not all 16 MB will be allocated for read-cache. The 2MB is read-cache .

The controller can be swapped , the controller reads the configurations from the drives . The drives must remain in the same order .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It seem like this is an know problem by Compaq? I just receive 4 pc's on 431 card and it having the same problem as MK.

If Compaq know about it, how come the product still swap out to market?

And another problem I found that 1 on the card I receive the firmware is 1.18 other 3 is 1.02.

Hope the support staff can provide us the feedback and cases, at least for me to explain to the management since I can't deploy the 3 server into Production since the RAID cache is on 2MB.

TQ
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It's NOT the card's fault... It's the software that's misreading the cache. The cache is there and working as it should. Hopefully this software bug will be fixed in later releases.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Roger H & Ron G

Is that any document to support it? Since both of you is working in the same company but with the diffirence story including the Tech Support which MK call.

By the ways, we will report it through the Compaq Central.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well, I see still no progress on this issue. Oddly enough, it appears this issue has been known about since September of 2000 (if you can follow the logic of the Customer Advisory system numbering scheme.) The document # is:

Doc # EX000926_CW01_0

However, if you attempt to view this document, entitled "Smart Array 431 Controller May Not Report Correct Cache Memory Size" the link:

http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/EX000926_CW01_0.html

takes you to a document titled, "StorageWorks 64-Bit/66-MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Controller And Slow Tape Device Performance"

"Hopefully software will fix it in the future" is _not_ a valid answer. Perhaps the trade magazine Gripe Lines can ferret out a better explanation than us lowly end-users...

mk