Disk Enclosures
1752734 Members
5668 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 5300 Drive array expansion

Patrick Casto

Smart Array 5300 Drive array expansion

I recently added additional hard drive to our external array controled by HP5300 with latest firmware. All HD's are the same. I ran ACU and extended the array and ACU reported that the task was sucessfully completed. We are running W2K SP4. Windows Diskmanager see the new drives but is reporting the new drives as a seperate partition. How can I get Windows to recognise the drive expansion? Also, if ACU performed it's job and redistributed the data across the new drives, Why is this not visible in WIndows?
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Array 5300 Drive array expansion

Patrick:

You need to use a utility called diskpart.exe. Diskpart will only workj on Data disks and NOT on system partitions.

If you want to extend your system partition, you needto find a different 3rd party utility.

If you need to extend a data partition, see here...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590

Windows does know about the underlying structure of your Array. It does not care. It only see's the size of the logical drive and not that you increased the size, it see's that as well. You just need to poke at it with diskpart for it to see it as one partition.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Patrick Casto

Re: Smart Array 5300 Drive array expansion

Steven,
Would like to Thank You for your quick and precise reply to my post. The information and web link you provided are most helpful!

Thank You Again!!
Patrick Casto