1752579 Members
4272 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 5300 disk activity light problem

Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Smart Array 5300 disk activity light problem

I have a smart array 5300 on a DS10 running OVMS 7.3-1. It has a Raid 1 and a Raid 5 set. Before the system is even booted, the disk activity lights on a raid 5 set are on. After about 5 minutes or so, they go off and the raid 1 set disk activity lights come on. This continues back and forth while nothing is running on the system. Does anyone have any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
Chris Bennett_9
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array 5300 disk activity light problem

The SMART Array controllers are capable of background parity and predictive fault checking. This is most likely what you are seeing.

Once the array controller finishes its' POST, it will verify the integrity of the parity disk/stripe (depending on your array config).

In my experience, nothing whatsoever to worry about.
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Re: Smart Array 5300 disk activity light problem

That's what I thought too; however, it does not happen on any other of my smart arrays with the same configuration. Usually on the others, you see a blinking light occasionally to indicate that it is doing the parity checking but then the lights go out. In this case, the lights constantly blink. According the the HP folks that my VAR is working with, it appears to be a firmware issue.