Disk Enclosures
1748089 Members
4919 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 642 SCSI ID

Wally MacKay

Smart Array 642 SCSI ID

How can I change/view the SCSI ID assigned to this controller?
4 REPLIES 4
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Re: Smart Array 642 SCSI ID

You can not, but why would you want to?

Leon
Wally MacKay

The reason for changing/viewing the scsi id is to access a external shared storage device for two servers each using SA-642 controllers. Ext device is a U320 Kingston infostation 14bay 3U. Each controller is at either end of the scsi bus but this would require different ids. Also, in addition a y-cable is installed to provide proper termination in the event that one of the servers was powered down or has lost power completey.

I've read that 5x cards with cluster kit software allows one to correct the lack of direct support for identify and changing ids/disabling termination within the ACU support utility giving one access to shared scsi storage and support for MSCS. Is this true for the 6x cards?

Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You can NOT use a smart array controller to connect a shared storage device to. All smart array controllers have fixed id's and termination.
In Compaq shared storage solutions the raid controller is always built in the storage enclosure, like the RA4100 or MSA 1000.
I don't know the Kingston device you are talking about. Maybe you can use a Mylex or Adaptec based controller.

Gr. Leon
Wally MacKay

That is unfortunate. Compaq/HP had such a good lead in the PCI-X 133 support with the SA-641/642. I find it is surprising that controller scsi id configuration and enable/disable termination is not provided within ACU or any other utility.

It should be stated somewhere in the product information (website) that shared storage is not supported by these controllers. This has put me out of pocket a couple of grand. I wonder how many others have and are yet to step on this landmine?

Anyone want to buy a couple of new SA-642s?