1751950 Members
4767 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array Controller 642 not recognized

Wilbert Jeuken_1
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array Controller 642 not recognized

I have a new Proliant ML370G3 with a Smart Array Controller 642 built in. The internal storage unit is connected to the internal port of this controller (port 2) and configured as a RAID5 set. I had Windows Server 2003 up and running, but now I'm having big problems:
I tried to convert the Basic Disk to a Dynamic Disk in Windows. This required a reboot. After the reboot, Windows just keeps on rebooting. I inserted the SmartStart CD to be able to do some diagnostics. In SmartStart in the "my Proliant Server" overview, there is a line marked in red saying "Boot controller disk size = 0". A warning is also issued: "There is no bootable drive configured on this system".
The boot controller is listed as "Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0046".

During the POST, the controller is recognized normally and the 1 logical drive configured on it is also recognized normally. The controller is set as primary boot controller and an volume has been created on it.

Has anybody got an idea how to proceed?
2 REPLIES 2
Wilbert Jeuken_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Smart Array Controller 642 not recognized

Please don't call me stupid, my collegues are doing that for you!! The problem with the controller not being recognized had been solved by using the SmartStart version 6.4 instead of 6.1!!

I'd still like to know wether there are any problems on record concerning conversion to dynamic disk from within Windows.
Fernando Lopez_3
Occasional Contributor

Re: Smart Array Controller 642 not recognized

Hello, when you configured RAID 5, how long did the process take. My ML370 G4 has been running for 26 hours to configure a Raid 5 with 3 72,8 drives and I do not know if to stop or continue

Thanks