4908 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart Array P400 - Code 271

Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array P400 - Code 271

Hi all,

i hope you can help me here! Im using a Smart Array P400 controller in a desktop pc for a small fileserver at home. im using there a raid 5 with 4 sata disks. Now one disk is damaged! First i wasnt sure if the disk is really broken and the configuration utility said that I should try to check all cable. I did that and all seems fine!

I shutdown the system and removed the broken drive. After starting the system, the configuration utility says Code 271 "Logical drive 1 (410.2 GB, RAID5) has failed and cannot be used. All data on this logical drive has been lost. Configuration changes to this logical drive are not allowed until this problem is corrected."

But the other 3 disks are still fine, no connection lost or something else was happend here. If im looking now in the windows device manager, i find the logical drive as unformatted drive there.

Im asking me now if I replace the damaged disk, will I get access to the data again? Or is there any chance to get the data back? I dont know whats happend here, because only one drive is failing?

Can anyone help me?

10 REPLIES 10
Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

no one? :-/

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

maybe I am wrong, but it looks you removed "wrong" disk. Are you sure it was correct one? Raid 5 is able to recover only from 1 drive broken..

Jan

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please attach an ACU report, if it's possible to create it. I'll take a look on it.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thanks for your response! Yes im sure that ive removed the correct drive. I identify the drive with the serial number and the other 3 drives are still in the logical drive with status ok.

@ PGTRI

I will create the report tonight! :)

Today i will get the new drive, do you think I should try to rebuild the raid?

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, I am afraid your raid is already destroyed... so trying to reconstruct it won't help.

Jan

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

First at all - you have to back up your data.  After that, you can try to rebuild the drive. I'll wait for the report.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thanks for your reply! I would be happy if I would be able to backup my data :D How I describe have I now a unformatted drive in my windows device manager. My question was what the next best steps to get my data back?

The report is coming if Im home from work :)

Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

It looks like the raid isnt rescueable. I installed the new drive and ive no option to rebuild or anything else :-/

Ive put the report to the attachments, maybe someon has an idea what i can do now, but it looks like that all have been lost.

Sitz_RieSe
Occasional Advisor

Okay, now i can reactivate the array, but this will wipe all drives... thats not really satisfying :(