1753823 Members
8884 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartArray 5i Controller and Expanding Logical Drives

Jeremy Wilhelm_2
Occasional Contributor

SmartArray 5i Controller and Expanding Logical Drives

We have a DL380G3 with a SA5i controller. It had Array A (system) set as Raid1 with 2 x 36GB drives, and Array B (data) set as Raid5 with 3 x 72GB. We had a business need to add additional disk space on Array B. I swapped out the 3 x 72GB hard drives with 3 x 146GB hard drives and add 1 x 146GB additional drive. Currently we have ArrayA with 2 x 36GB and ArrayB with 4 x 146GB drives. It took 5days to expand the array, but now I need to expand the logical drive. I've used the SS6.4 ACU to expand the logical drive and it only allowed me to expand it to 235GB. Using only half of what I added. I've tried looking to see if the ACU would allow me to expand it again, but there's no option within the ACU. I still show over 200GB of unused space under ArrayB. How can I get the logical drive to expand the rest of the disk space? Are there any limitations with this array controller?
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: SmartArray 5i Controller and Expanding Logical Drives

As far as I understand, it has to do with the limitations of the stripe size, which limits the total logical drive size. If you are using Windows you can join the free space to the existing OS logical drive, joining 2 partitions into a single logical drive letter.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Jeremy Wilhelm_2
Occasional Contributor

Found my problem (with help from DAN KUNZ from HP). The Sector size is set to 32 which limits you to a logical drive of 255GB. When you create a logical drive, you have the option (I think under the advanced options) to set the maximum boot size to 8GB (enabled) or 4GB partition (disabled). This will set your sector size to either 32 or 63.

Initial Sectors Max Extended
Logical Drive per Track Logical Drive
Size Size

< 255 GB 32 255 GB
< (261116 MB) (261116 MB)

> 255 GB 63 502 GB
< 502 GB (514072 MB)
> (261116 MB)
< (514072 MB)

> 502 GB 63 2 TB
< 2 TB (2097152 MB)
> (514072 MB)
< (2097152 MB)

Table 1. Maximum Supported Logical Drive Extension Sizes

Jeremy Wilhelm_2
Occasional Contributor

Sorry...that table didn't turn out just right. Here's an attachment which shows the limitations.
James McMillan_3
Occasional Advisor

Ahaaa..

Perfect, I've been trying to work this one out for ages - exactly the same setup as well..

Cheers..