1748246 Members
3451 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartArray Cluster Storage and delayed power up

Dino Theo

SmartArray Cluster Storage and delayed power up

Hi all,
I have setup a couple of clusters recently. The first consists of a pair of DL380G3's and the other is a pair of DL580G2's. The power up sequence consists of powering up the Cluster storage and waiting for the cluster controller to initialize prior to powering up the servers. Well, these servers are going into a data center shortly and I want to cover my bases in case of a catastrophic power outage. (Has never happened but you never know) If we have a power outage and subsequent restoration of power the servers will come back up and we won't have access to the drives and therefore the cluster service won't start. This is because the servers will be botting while the cluster storage is initializing. Is there a way that I can have the servers delay their startup so that the storage device has had time to initialize?

2 REPLIES 2
Felicio Guimaraes dos S
Occasional Advisor

A simple solution may be put in boot.ini entry a "delay" to load the O.S....
Dino Theo

I had thought about that but the problem occurs before the OS starts loading. I need to have the Storage Array finish intializing before the smart array controller on the server has initialized. I even tried to disable quick post speed, but all to no avail.

Dino