1748104 Members
4647 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Steps to Add Disk Enclosure to EVA 4100

Anubhav Dhingra
Frequent Advisor

Steps to Add Disk Enclosure to EVA 4100

I have a EVA 4100 2C1D. I want to add one more disk Enclosure with 10 Disks to it. Do we have some Procedure from HP.
10 REPLIES 10
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Each disk enclosure has 2 I/O modules, one on each side. The cabling is done in two loops, to have redundancy. It should be like this:

Top controller - Enclosure 1 - Enclosure 2 ... - Bottom controller
While on the other loop we reverse the order of the disk enclosures:
Top controller ... Enclosure 2 - Enclosure 1 - Bottom controller.

Adding a new disk enclosure (up to 4 maximum) consists on inserting it on both loops. It can be done online if you open only one loop at a time.

You must also connect a cable to the EMU, the EAB cable, which allows the enclosure to know in what possition it is.

The enclosure must be added empty and then the disks added one by one with 2 minute interval between them. The minimum of disks on an enclosure is 4.
Anubhav Dhingra
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Thanks for your reply. It was indeed a important information. One more thing I need to find it out. when we order a M5314C from HP, do we need to order the EAB cables seperately or HP delievers it along with the Enclosure. Also how about the Loop cables to add more enclosures.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If I remember correctly, if you order the enclosure from HP, it includes all the relevant cables.

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> The enclosure must be added empty and

Interesting. From a HP service engineer I've heard that there should be one (1) disk drive in the enclosure and the official document (5697-6937) says:
""7. Insert and seat **all** drives and other components into the drive enclosure, but do not connect the cables.""
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You're right Uwe, that has been commented here before:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1152675

I've saved the document for future reference.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I'm right? No - I'm confused ;-)
Which of the 3 ways is the right / preferred one?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The cable from the EMU to the EAB Bus will be delivered with the enclosure, together with power and loop cables.

I would insert 1 drive to the new enclosure. This is the minimum, without the chassis will not be detected.

Now you have the choice. You can either add other disks to the enclosure
or
power down the EVA and re-distribute all the existing disks to both enclosures. Once your are done, power up the array and insert the new drives one by one. Wait ~ 1 - 2 minutes between two disks.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Hi.

I have just received my upgrade to an EVA 4100 and it arrived without cables. According to Sales Builder you need to order part AG311A for the cables.

I have discussed this with 4 HP techs and looked at the documentation. 3 Techs have said it should come with cables and one said not, similarly the documentation says it should come with cables.

HTH.

Oh yes for anyone else reading this forum, if you need to go past four enclosures you are going to need to order loopback switches as well.
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

All delivered enclosure I've seen so far came with cables...

> need to order loopback switches

I think you meant to write "loop switches" ;-)

If you go for more than 4 disk drive enclosures you also need new licenses, because you've upgraded your EVA to a 6000/6100!!