New Discussion юеВ

Storage information

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sumit Ghosal
Frequent Advisor

Storage information

Hi,

Can anyone please help me in finding out the below information for each of the following Disk Arrays -( XP1024, HDS-9970, HDS-9960,HDS-9585, CX-300, EVA4K and EVA 5K)
1- Max no. of Array Ports supported
2- Max No. of Luns per Port.
3- Max No. of Hostgroups per port.
4- Max No. of Luns per hostgroup.
5- Max no. of WWNs per hostgroup.
6- Max no. of Luns which can be assigned to each WWN.
Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Sumit
4 REPLIES 4
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Re: Storage information

Hi Sumit,

If memory serves me correctly for the XP1024

1 = Max FC host ports (CHIP ports)is 64.
This is because you can install 4 CHIP pairs each with a maximum of 16 ports (8 ports per CHIP and 2 CHIPs per CHIP pair). This was 48 on the 9970.

2 = Max 512 LUNs per port

3 = Max 256 Host Storage Domains (host groups)per port.

4 = Max 256 LUNs per Host Storage Domain.
Obviously you cant have 256 HSDs, each with 256 LUNs as this would exceed the maximum of 512 LUNs per port specified in answer to question 2

5 = Im not aware of a theoretical maximum WWPNs per port

6 = LUNs are actually mapped to Host Storage Domains.
As stated in answer to number 3 you can have 256 HSDs per port. Each HSD can have multiple WWPNs assigned to it. Ive never tried to see what the max WWPNs per HSD is.

When it comes to maximum host groups per port although this is 256 I would not recommend having this many utilise the port (Im sure you wouldnt anyway). If you have 256 HSDs per port you could only have a max od 2 LUNs per HSD otherwise you would exceed the maximum of 512 LUNs per port.

I believe that this is a theoretical value and is related to the max queue depth per port. So if you have 256 hosts on one port and each host has 2 LUNs then the queue depth for each LUN could only be 1 - which is not too good ;-)

Hope this helps
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Hi Sumit,

Ive had a quick look through some old notes from when I used to manage EVA storage and can see from my notes that the 5000 supports the following -

Max 4 host ports - 2 per controller (4 in total over both controllers)
Max 512 Vdisks (LUNs) per subsystem
Max 256 hosts connected to the array

Im afraid Ive not done much with the newer EVAs such as the 4000 that you also mention. However, I can see from the documentation that the 4000 supports the following -

Max host ports - 2 per controller (4 in total over both controllers)
Max 1024 Vdisks (LUNs)
Max 256 hosts connected to the array
Sumit Ghosal
Frequent Advisor

Thanks mackem for your help , but looking forward for some more inputs on other arrays.

Sumit
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Sumit,

The following is true for the HDS 9585V -

A HDS 9585V can have 8 x 2Gbps FC ports installed. Each port can have 128 Host Groups and each Host Group supports up to 256 LUNs. The subsystem as a whole can have a maximum of 512 Host Groups.

Each port can queue a maximum of 512 commands.

Im afraid that will be all I can help you with (XP1024, EVA 5K, EVA 4K and HDS 9585) as Ive little experience with the other kit you are asking about.

Also, you "may" be more likely to get responses from other people if you assign points to replies people post for you ;-)