Disk Enclosures
1753663 Members
5903 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Striped LVOLs on EVA5000 LUNs? Anyone Done it.. Any Performance difference with Single LUN LVOLs?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Striped LVOLs on EVA5000 LUNs? Anyone Done it.. Any Performance difference with Single LUN LVOLs?

On Hitachi/EMC and Amdahl arrays.. I always build my storage volumes as stripes (software based -- using LVM or VxVM) accross a minimum of 4 or 8 LUNs and accross however many Fibre Channels they are presented. And Oracle always like the performance it gets on such storage volumes. However, my EVA manager says it is bad practice as the striping is already done on the array itself -- which I do not discount. But obviously - when you stripe accross however many channels and luns you have -- performance is expected to be better than single LUN lvols...

So is it really a bad idea to stripe EVA5000 Luns on the host using LVM or VxVM ?
Hakuna Matata.
1 REPLY 1
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Re: Striped LVOLs on EVA5000 LUNs? Anyone Done it.. Any Performance difference with Single LUN LVOLs?

The EVA already stripes the data across all disks in the disk group automatically. So using host based striping just add overhead