Disk Enclosures
1753290 Members
5396 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Two 80gig SATA set as RAID 1 show up as only 4gig

Robert McQuay

Two 80gig SATA set as RAID 1 show up as only 4gig

I have Two 80GB SATA hard drives set up as a RAID 1 and when I look at the drive (C:\) it show that I only have 4GB and 1GB left. When I go into drive manager the drive shows as 76GB???

Has any one every seen or hear of this happening? It is on a HP Proliant ML310 G5. I have the two drives setup as a RAID level 1. I can't seem to google my way out of this one.

6 REPLIES 6
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) to setup the RAID or are you using the ROM based RAID configuration utility?

When you say you have 76GB, do you mean that there is 76GB of space left unpartitioned?

Maybe you should just create a seperate partition from your system partition.
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Robert McQuay

I did not add a partition I used the two 80GB drives for the OS.

Looking at the hd manager it is showing only one 80GB drive which I am assuming being that it is set up as a RAID 1 that is normal. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

I formated the 250GB drive as NTFS and I'll be using that as our data drive.

Also, the 250GB drive is coming up as Disk 0 and the 80GB drive is coming up as Disk 1.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

"Looking at the hd manager it is showing only one 80GB drive which I am assuming being that it is set up as a RAID 1 that is normal. But I'm not 100% sure about that. "

That would be normal.

If you can see the additional available 76GB of space, why not just use DISKPART ane expand your 4GB partition to include the 76GB of extra space?

In MS CMD windows:

DISKPART
LIST VOL
(Locate the list of disks to be extended on the list of volumes)
SELECT VOL # (# in the number of the volume listed above.)
EXTEND
EXIT
Exit from CMD window

The disk should not be extended to use the entire 80GB.

phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Robert McQuay

Phill I get what you're saying but when I'm installing the OS I am telling it to use the whole drive. There should be no reason to expand the partition I told it to use the whole thing in the first place.

This is what I am trying now; I removed the 250GB drive and am going to install SBS again and hopefully it works if not I guess I will be SOL.

I don't know what else to do. I have to use the HP SmartStart CD to install the OS and I think this is why I am having all the problems. Who knows??
Peter Turek
Frequent Advisor

Robert,

Are you sure the C: vol is NTFS? I would assume so but somehow if it wound up as FAT16 it would hit the 4GB limit. Another thought might be if you disabled the maxboot partition size- I *think* that may limit you to 4GB as well.

I think Phil had the best idea with just expanding using diskpart as that should solve the problem if it's NTFS already.

Last, if the OS is giving you fits (OMG, SBS...run!) you can partition the drive with any utility you want (eg WINPE, BARTPE, UBCD) and just tell the OS to install in a partition already created&formatted. This way the SBS install won't touch anything, just install itself.

Using this and RBSU or ACU to make a single logical disk (all 80GB) should do the trick.

Good Luck!
Robert McQuay

Hey guys! I appreciate all the replies. I was able to resolve the problem by breaking out an old CD of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. and using I key that I had from a server that I had at home.

I still had to use the SmartStart CD and I had a few missing .gif, .wav, files but once I got the OS installed every thing looks to be in order and I thank the binary gods that I didn't have to use SBS.

Only obstacle now is to put the 250GB drive back in and hope there is no problems with that.

Once again thanks,

--Bob