Disk Enclosures
1753479 Members
4763 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to boot from Smart Array 3200

C Golding

Unable to boot from Smart Array 3200

I am setting up a new array from scratch. I have my 5 x 9.1Gb drives runnning Raid 5 controlled by the Smart Array 3200.

I have moved the SCSI cable from the onboard SCSI port to the controller no probs. I have sucessfully booted Smart Start (5.40) and have configured the array and logical drives all ok. I have set the controller as the first device and disabled both onboard SCSI ports.

On bootup the controller initialises and spins up the drives ok. The next message is "Scanning for SCSI devices...no SCSI devices found", and then "Operating system missing", even when installed ok.

It seems the system is still looking for the boot partition at the onboard SCSI ports and not the controller.

I have had two very long days trying every setting via Smart Start etc. I have downloaded and installed the Smart Start updates etc.

The only thing I can't do is get the system to boot from the OS on the array via the 3200 controller.

Please help,

CG
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You should go in the bios of the server and set the boot priority on the added card and not on the scsi integrated one ( and it is different than the boot device priority for floppy/cdrom/hdd)
C Golding

Thanks for the reply.

I finally did what I should have done before - I ran the system erase utility and started again from scratch.

The machine now boots to the primary partition hanging off the array controller. I can't explain why it wouldn't before.

Thanks.

CG
Ben SMith_2
Advisor

Hi,

I;ve got basically the same problem, but with one exception, i cant boot into the BIOS... what is the keyboard button that should be pressed to enter it?