1751832 Members
5361 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to see EVA vdisks from host

Kishore Kumar
Occasional Advisor

Unable to see EVA vdisks from host

I have a 2C 2D configurtation with EVA 3k ( HSV100) .

I've created a vdisk and exposed this to an HPUX host in EVA .
How ever , when I do ioscan now on the host, I could see only the HSV controllers , I am unable to see the HSV disks .

wondering what could be the issue with this

9 REPLIES 9
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to see EVA vdisks from host

Hi,
Just a thought.
Verify the WWPN again.
Also verify the Zone settings if any.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

You may also want to verify that that OS Type of the host on the EVA has been set to HPUX. This is not the default value.
Kishore Kumar
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,Checked WWPN of HBA
No zone settings in the switch

Host type is HP-UX and that's perfect

I see two problems with the EVA .

1. The Cache battery system is not operational
( Red Indication)

2. Under Setting /Applications in cv eva , I see "Compaq Management Agent" service shows and error .
When I try to start I get SAN Mgmnt Appliance ERROR

All the other daemons are operational
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Any other host is working with EVA?
If you have problem in services/Appliance fix that first. Cache battery down? Is it new installation, how long the EVA is powered on?
Better to contact HP, seems to be hardware problem.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

First check the doublecheck your switch just to be 100% sure :) with zoneshow. If switch rebooted and didnt have config enabled it might have loaded something you dont want.

Make sure you have link lights :)

Make sure your driver for your hbas is correct, installed, and uptodate.

Make sure your masking is correct on the EVA

Use fcmsutil or tdutil on your fiber cards to make sure you didnt put the wrong wwn number and make sure you didnt confuse the PORT and NODE both numbers are very close.

Make sure you didnt forget to run ioscan then run an insf-e so you can see your new disks.

With eva3k it would be a good idea to run securepath on the hpux box or any other because if I am recalling right the eva3k has an active passive controller. So say a san switch or card plops out of the picture, since it predates pvlinks you would want securepath to communicate back to the controllers on the EVA to fail over the controller.

Hopefully this helps. Good Luck.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

PS if your cache batteries are needing replaced Get a servicecall in and get those pupies replaced, it will help save you in the event of power loss, but should be unrelated to your current problem. Also if you have a san appliance. Sometimes those things just need a good reboot, it is afterall Windows hehehe.
Rauschenberg
Advisor

Hi,

I know this problem very good from EVA5000. As long as your cache batteries are defective the EVA will not present any new VDisks to hosts.

We did this three times in a project, the EVA├В┬┤s always arrived with defective batteries.

Get new batteries and your server will get it├В┬┤s disk.

Regards
Matt
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Not very legal but....shut down EVA, remove batteries from the top controller and put them into the botton one and vice versa... Controllers on the EVA remember the serial numbers of the batteries so you can do this only once. Make shure that you always shutdown eva correctly ( using powerdown in command view) not just power it off!!!!! Othervise your batteries will get drained again...

Batteries are found behind the OCP (display) - after you remove the front plastics...
BR
B:
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Kishore

After presenting the LUNs to host, did you create special files (insf) for disks?? If no you have to create so that disk LUNS will be seen as device files.

Regards
Mahesh