108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unused disks in EMC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maz_2
Advisor

Unused disks in EMC

I need to find out which disks in the EMC cabinet are not connected to any of our machines.
I can't find inq on my machine....
any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Unused disks in EMC

You can download inq or inq.HP from www.emc.com but it only shows disks assigned to a machine - it does NOT show disks on the emc not connected to any of your machines.

For that you need EMC Symmetrix manager and EMC SDR software which you have to pay for and usually load onto a PC. We use SDR to allocate spare disk our EMC's to an HP server, then use inq on the HP to see it (like ioscan), then we can use it.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Only disks attached to a specific machine will be visable to that machine so inq will only be able to report on these disks.

Afraid you'll have to open up the cabinet of the disk array.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Maz_2
Advisor

That's exactly what I was afraid of......
Thanks guys.
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Actually if you have EMC's software called EMC COntrol Center, you can actually get a view of the whole EMC array. THere is one screen that does show you all attached LUNs and at the bottom of that screen you will find all the LUNs that are not defined or assigned to a port.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
liam Fogarty_1
Advisor

do you have EMC solutions enabler?
if so you can run the command
symdev list -noport -sid
this will show you what devices are not mapped to the fibre ports.
or better use volume logix (if you have it) select volume view, right click and select 'show volumes owned by NO one'

hope this helps...
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

What EMC software do you have...Solutions Enabler? WideSky? ECC (Control Center)?

The fact that you are questions which disks does the server see tells me you are not a SAN. So your servers must be hostbased connected to your EMC array. With that......

Your binfile determines what disks are seen by what servers. So you should have something that was provided by your CE that tells you which host can see which adapter and what's on it. Of course it's all EMC-eze.....Some Admin's like to pre-define what disks are presented to which host. For our hostbased servers, we present every disk to every server. A bit much, but we like it that way.

If your running an older version you should be able to run the inq utility (install it on all EMC attached servers). But that will not tell which disks are in use, just what disks can be seen by what server. There was a program written by an EMC guy Mark Halstead that would also give you some more details...like disks allocated. Now be careful, because any raw disks would not be seen - and if a disk is in a vg but not allocated, it sometimes misses it. But it might help you. File attached. It requires the inq utility to run it, so once you have that on your box, you could run them both. I generally run Marc's program and output to a file...
symmcu > disks.file

Regards,
Rita