1752494 Members
5191 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade Embedded SCSI to RAID

John G_5

Upgrade Embedded SCSI to RAID

All,

I currently have an ML370 configured with Windows 2000 Server SP4. The server is configured with one 18GB drive and one 145GB drive connected to the embedded controller.

I wish to perform the following:

Add one 18 GB drive and create a RAID 1 configuration with the existing 18GB drive.

Add an additional two 145GB drives and create a RAID 5 configuration with the 3 145GB drives.

I'm hoping to perform this without performing a server rebuild/restore as the existing 145GB is currently 95% full. Is this possible?

Can anyone provide some advice on the best way to perform this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided.

Cheers,
John
7 REPLIES 7
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you are going to add Smart Array controller, the upgrade requires full rebuild/restore.

Regards,
Zygmunt
John G_5

Zygmunt,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Given that I have approx. 140 GB of data to restore, I was hoping to avoid doing that.

Do you have any suggestions on how to perform this while avoding a restore? I know it's a longshot, but I would really like to avoid it.

Thanks,
John
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Add three 145GB drives, create the RAID5 with the new drives then copy the data over from the old drive and remove.

The data stays intact and online during the process.

Not the best solution cost wise, but that would be one of the only ways to do it without a restore. 140GB's should not take too long. What kind of media are you using for backup?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Steven/John,

That would only be possible if no Smart Array controller is used (i.e. all disks on the onboard SCSI controller and using Software RAID). You cannot migrate disks from SCSI to Smart Array without data loss. It's also not possible to split the disks in the drive cage between controllers.

Regards
Stephen
e4services
Honored Contributor

I will though my 2 cents in, and vote for 3 more 146GB drives. If you are 95% full, 3 drive RAID5 only doubles you capacity, or leaves you 50% full. While with 3 new drives the transition not only become fast and easy, you can incorporate the original disk back into the RAID5 after the data relocation is complete and bring your percent used to a reasonable number.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John G_5

All,

Thanks for the replies.

Steven C, I have purchased three additional 145GB drives and was planning to use one of them as a hot standby so copying the data sounds like a viable option. I'm using SDLT media for backup.

Since posting, I have pondered using Ghost to clone the 18GB drive once I've connected it to the RAID Controller and then using the method Steven mentioned to move the data across to the new RAID 5 set.

Can anyone comment on this method?

Thanks again for your input guys. It's greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John
Giova_1

Hi John

I'm using Ghost software for more than 5 years for DR on the servers and it works very well on RAID1 or NoRAID volumes only, so for your 18gigs is perfect.
At the moment is not possible to do the same with RAID5 arrays, even I've read some posts about Acronis True Image 8 that seems make it possible...
Have to test it.

Even the Ghost 2003 can create images of dynamic partition/disks I suggest to do not update it if possible.
In any case please refer to the link for more info:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000062209523525?

I hope that helps
Amicalement

Gio