New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade Firmware In AutoRAID 12H

SOLVED
Go to solution
Suren Selva
Advisor

Upgrade Firmware In AutoRAID 12H

Hello All,

We have a 12H AutoRAID connected to a 10.20 system running firmware version HP24. I would like it upgraded to firmware version HP62.

Can someone let me know the different ways that the FW can be upgraded in an AutoRAID from HP24 to HP62. Thanks in advance to all replies.

Regards,
Suren Selva
Experience is worth nothing if not gained from!
6 REPLIES 6
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

We let the HP CE do the firmware upgrade.

You can use the ARMServer (download -m) or the front panel (Copy Firmware).

The procedure is described in detail in the HP AutoRAID Disk Array User's and Service Manual, and there's additional info in the System Administrator's Guide.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I've done this many times without a problem but if unsure I would let HP do this.

1) Download your desired firmware file and arraymgr software. Make sure that you read the release notes. Some versions require that you upgrade the host software (arraymgr) first and others the firmware first - so read.

2) Do an arraydsp -i to get the arrayid.

3) download -C firmware_pathname arrayid.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Steve Labar
Valued Contributor

As Clay pointed out, you should read the directions step-by-step. It usually calls to shutdown(not power off) the RAID. I have had times when the download command did not work in multi-user mode and I had to boot into single-user mode. The trick in single-user mode is make sure the ARMServer is running. Start it manually if need be.

Good Luck.

Steve
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Suren,
firmware is here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=A3700AD%2CA3700AZ%2CA3700AA%2CA3700A&prodName=hp+surestore+disk+array+12h+%28autoRAID%29&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169 . Please make sure that you really have 12H model (not 12 without H) as soon as there're different firmware files for them. I agree that you'd better ask HP to carry out this work
Eugeny
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

you can do it from bootable tapes/cd's.

you can do it from X/STM (Support tools manager)

or from ARMserver utilities.

Just follow the release notes.
Also recall you'll have to install a patch after you upgrade f/w or the management tools won't work.

I really only recommend upgrading if you have a problem!

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Suren Selva
Advisor

We have to upgrade this firmware because it is causing our system to hang and we have to pull one of the controllers out to get it going. HP recommended upgrading the firmware. I think that I will get HP to do the first upgrade.

Thank you all for your responses.

Suren
Experience is worth nothing if not gained from!