1752295 Members
4750 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Command View V4.0 build 53, RSM V1.1 and VCS V3.025

Ray Krystofolski
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading Command View V4.0 build 53, RSM V1.1 and VCS V3.025

I have (2) EVA5000's running VCS V3.025 with the DRV3026 disk drive firmware loaded. Command View is V4.0 build 53 running on a management server (no SMA).

The EVA's are utilizing CA (via the RSM V1.1 product which is installed on the same management server running Command View V4.0 build 53) between 2 buildings at our campus, running over dark fibre. Again, we are
utilizing RSM V1.1.

I have read the release notes for VCS V3.028, Command View V4.1.1, and RSM V1.2. I would like to update these components in the following order, and I am looking for a "sounding board" for my approach.

1) update Command View V4.0 to V4.1.1, (leaving RSM at V1.1 initially)

2) update RSM V1.1 to RSM V1.2, (and work out any scripting problems, if any surface)

3) lastly, break the CA connections between the EVA's, by blocking the ports on the McData Director 2/140's, update the firmware to VCS V3.028 on the source EVA first, and when that is completed, proceed to the target EVA. Also, update any disk drive firmware at this time. Once both EVA's are upgraded, restart RSM V1.2 and make sure the replication scripts run error free.

I don't know if there is any new drive firmware available with VCS V3.028 (perhaps a DRV3029 ????). The 300GB fibre channel drives I have are all running HP01 firmware and the FATA drives I have, quantity (3) ND2505823A's are running HP01, and the remaining (157) ND25058238's are also running HP01 firmware.

Reading the VCS V3.028 release notes indicates that the model ND25058238 FATA
disk drives have a new version of firmware (HP02) that is available. I would presume there's a new disk drive firmware image available to upgrade to, correct? I would employ my local HP resources to supply me
the VCS V3.028 firmware and the HP02 code, and they would be onsite to perform both code upgrades.

I'm just looking to see if anyone "knows" anything about coexistence issues with Command View V4.1.1 running RSM V1.1 (initially) and then RSM V1.2 (end state), followed by the VCS V3.028 upgrade and disk firmware upgrades.

regards,

ray k.
ray.krystofolski@yesbank.com
never get yourself into a situation, where you are overpaid for the job you are doing
2 REPLIES 2
Brian Kerr_1
Advisor

Hi Ray,

We also have a pair of replicating EVA5000's and I have started down this upgrade path. First action was to upgrade Command View to v4.1 Build 20 whilst still running RSM v1.1. There were no problems at all there. I am about to take the second step of upgrading RSM to v1.2 and will rely on HP Services to do the VCS upgrade.

I think your plan is sound.

Brian
Ray Krystofolski
Occasional Contributor

Hey Brian,

I completed the two steps of my plan over the weekend, and all is well. I upgraded Command View to V4.1.1 build 3 (this was posted on HP web site as of 26-Sep-2005) and I upgraded to RSM v1.2. All scripts we had were compatible, and the only change I noticed in Command View, is that now when I suspend a RSM job, Command View will show an attention for the respective data replication set that was suspended. I did not notice this with the old version of Command View. When the job is resumed Command View shows the cell as all green.

regards,
ray k.
never get yourself into a situation, where you are overpaid for the job you are doing