1752794 Members
5885 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using Business copy software for backup

Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

Using Business copy software for backup

I am familar with EMC's Snapshot software where you have to mount the snapped image to another server for backup, is this also true for Business Copy or can I mount the image to the same server for backup????
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Business copy software for backup

I've not done this with business copy but I know it can be done even on the same server. (EMC can do this) Just watch out for performance problems during your backup.

The volumes *must* quiesced and synchronised and not in any sort of adaptive copy mode before starting your split. If not your copy will have corrupted data. If you intend to mount on the same server, then you will need to create mapfiles for the VG's that your going to split using 'vgexport'. You will then need to create a different volume group using 'mkdir/mknod' and then run 'vgchgid' on the volumes so they can be used seperately. (you can't have two VGID's the same in different volume groups) Once you've successfull imported using 'vgimport' you will need to activate the VG, and run 'fsck' on any volume you intend to mount.

Regards
Michael
"When I have trouble spelling, it's called fat finger syndrome"
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Michael is absolutely correct. Important is that you should create BC LUN (or do copy from parent LUN) when parent LUN has all the data flushed on it. You know when server operates it saves much data to the disk, but some remains in the cache. This cache should be flushed to the LUN before you will do BC. It can be achieved with unmounting FS, deactivating VG, or if database supports online backup you need to issue DBA command to instruct it to flush all its buffers/cache to the LUN
Eugeny
Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

cool thanks