5890 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA-7100 slow performance

Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

VA-7100 slow performance

Hi,

we have a brand new L-Class (rp5470) and VA-7100 with 10 x 76 GB.

Performance of VA is (in my opinion) very slow, because we have an old (5 years old!) Raid-Array which is much faster than the VA!

All settings are default. Firmware is HP14.

What's wrong?

Kay.
14 REPLIES 14
Paul Barmettler
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

an upgrade to HP16 will solve your problem.
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

Is it downloadable? Where?
Paul Barmettler
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

it's not downloadable. Call your Hp representative for the upgrade.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Follow this link:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg35039.html

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Kay,

As mentioned, call your HP representative for the upgrade to HP16 firmware. Also, you didn't mention anything else about your configuration. If you're using to HBA's (Host Bus Adapters, if you're using a fibre channel switch, how many LUNS you have configured, etc. Assuming you have two HBA's, be sure you have at least two LUNS per volume group for the purpose of striping across alternate links. You can perform a vgreduce and then vgextend to use the alternate link on every other logical volume. This will ensure you are using both HBA's and both controllers simultaneously. Have a look at the link Vincent provided, it provides some good information.

HTH,

Dave
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Hi everybody,

we have 2 controllers inside the box (A6795A) with connections to the VA.

We have 5 LUNs specified, but we don't stripe volume groups about many LUNs -- each LUN is one volume group.

Why would I profit from spanning volume groups over many LUNs? I have no chance to pin one LUN to one controller, so I can't set over what controller the data will be transferred.

Or am I going the wrong way?
Quin Hammes
Valued Contributor

Kay,
Make sure that each LUN isn't using the same controller as the primary. In other words, lets say that you have device files starting with c1 and c2. Make sure that the first Lun is using c1, the next one is using c2, the third lun is using c1 etc. If there are two luns which you know are being used more than the others than make sure that those do not share the same controller as their primary. This will allow you to use both controllers at the same time therefore hopfully helping with throughput. Do you have the latest patches for the HBAs?

Quin
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Quin,

thanks for this idea. But how can I make sure what LUN uses what controller? Where can I see that? And -- more important -- where can I set that?

(Only to make sure that we are not on the wrong way -- the VA7100 has only one redundancy group, if you mean that.)

David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Kay,

Take a look at the attached word document and see if this helps. Please note that only the primary controller writes so some benefit may be gained by putting the write intensive LUNS on the primary controller.

Dave