Re: VA 7400 W2k

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lucian Deuter
Occasional Contributor

VA 7400 W2k

Hi guys,

Can anybody help me with the following problems:

1. In a VA 7400 I have two redundancy groups. Can I create LUNs and a business copys over both redundancy groups?

2. To configure Secure Manager VA I have to know the host node WWN and the host port WWN of each host. How do I get these WWNs (D8602B FC HBAs in all hosts) in a W2k environment?

3. Why does Command View SDM CLUI-command "armtopology" show me only the information of the local host?
9 REPLIES 9
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

According to Secure Manager VA Manual (July 2001) there is no utility which can show WWN for D8602b HBA. They recommend setting HBA drivers parameter DebugLevel to 4 (or more). In this case HBA driver will write a lot of messages in system event log. From this messages you can find out WWN for HBA. This parameter can be found in registry in LocalMachine, Services, AFXXX (name of driver), Parameters (default value is zero).
If you connect you HBA to fibre switch there is another method. In this case you can read HBA's WWN from switch.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

1. Yes, you can create LUNs and business copies on both RGs, but you can't pick which. It does this for you.

2. The switch's nameserver had the WWN's. It should also be on a sticker or something on the card somewhere. The debug level thing is also a good idea. If you're direct connected, you don't need Secure Manager at all.

Good luck
No matter where you go, there you are.
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Answer to third question. Armtopology works only with hosts that have CommandView installed. I suppose you have only one licence for CV installed on your host, so armtopology gives you information about local host only.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Answer to the first Question:

An individual LUN belongs to one redundancy group which is hosted in one VA controller. An individual LUN cannot span redundancy groups. Taking a Business Copy (BC) snapshot just copies the maps of the original LUN. Thus the BC has to be in the same redundancy group and cannot span redundancy groups.

Regards
Peter
I love storage
Han Phan
Occasional Advisor

Hello all,

Currently, my department owned some HP NetServers LXr 8000, LT 6000r, LH 3000r... Some NetServer Rack Storage/12 Ultra 160 SCSI mass storage and NetRAID-4M RAID family controllers. All are run smoothly under Win2K A.S.

Thinking for our new service location and I really interest on HP Surestore Virtual Array 7400 with its feature like: "Protection against multiple disk drive failures with RAID5 DP and it offers 100 times more availability and better storage efficiency than RAID 5".

Here is the link I got:
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/disk_arrays/midrange/va7400/index.html

Can someone let me know the cost for HP pre-configured product bundle or barebone system cofig by yourself ?

Or anyone on HP's marketing team tell me about that?

Thanks & Regards,
Han Phan: hanphan@visto.com

Han Phan
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hello Vince & all,

Thanks Vince Fleming for the answer earlier today. I try to come up with a nice proposal to our manager, so there is some other details I needs...

I need to fill out the price/ cost for all the items I plan to get as below:

- Virtual Array 7400 bunble, product # A6265AZ
- DS 2400 Disk Enclosure, product # A6214A
- 15 x 73 GB 10K RPM F.C. drives, product # A6194A/ Opt. OD1
- HP Surestore Command View SDM, # T1001A
- HP Surestore Enterprise Management Smart Plug-in, product # T1002A
- HP Surestore Secure Manager Virtual Array, product number T1006A.

I have 2 questions on:

1). About HP's feature "Protection against multiple disk drive failures with RAID5 DP and it offers 100 times availability and better storage efficiency than RAID 5". How this work, by hardware or upgrade-able firmware? Can anyone point me the reference URL?

2). Is HP VA 7400 product design by HP or OEM from other vendor? I just thinking about tech support later. Reason for this question is, with current HP NetRAID-4M w/128 MB Cache controllers I have, its is Adaptec product. It carried Adaptec name and part number on controller, memory cache,... It lead me to Adaptec web site sometime for tech support.

Vince, please let me know through my private email on cost for this proposal.

Thanks & Regards,

Aaron Tatone
Frequent Advisor

Han,

To answer your questions:

1) To learn about raid5DP, go to this site URL: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manual_set/lpg28817.pdf. It starts talking about raid5DP around page 35.

2) According to HP "The VA7400 is 100% HP".

Aaron
Han Phan
Occasional Advisor

Hello all,

Before I got the answers from Aaron Tatone, there was the question with me about VA 7400: "Is this HW based or FW running on an embedded controller?"

After read the User's Guide, special in pages 35 through 39 - I still unable get an answer yet... Can someone help me with this question ?

Thanks Aaron again for 2 posted answers.
I still looking for what the total cost of new hardware/software for VA 7400. Anyone can shares your cost of VA 7400 with me, thank a lots!

Regards,
Han Phan
Occasional Advisor

Hello all,

One of my coworker have similar question I have been asked about HP's Virtual Array RAID 5 Double Parity (RAID 5DP):

"Wonder if they do the math in hardware or software?"

Thanks for any input or comment here...

Regards,