108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA: Same OS in the same port

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

VA: Same OS in the same port

Is possible share the LUNs from a VA to heterogeneous OS (windows, hpux) and secure the luns via Secure Path?

tks!
Teach is the best way to learn
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VA: Same OS in the same port

Are you talking about VA or EVA?
SecurePath is a software for EVA (at least for now). You can share a LUN between different hosts and even OSes, but:
- make sure both OSes can read file system on the LUN otherwise sharing will be useless;
- make sure multiple hosts do not update data at the same time otherwise data can be corrupt;
- w2k hosts may corrupt data 'on the fly' writing its signatures to newly appeared LUNs.
Access to VA LUNs is controlled via security table. Permissions: '0' - no access, 'W' - write access, 'WC' - write access with failover. If VA security is turned on and you create new LUN then this new LUN receives permission '0' by default (no access). Thus you need to update security table and download its new version to VA
Eugeny
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

sorry... i want to say secure manager

i found the solution

with armhost i can define behavior from controller to diferent hosts and os

thank you very much!
Teach is the best way to learn
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

In an Oracle Parallel Server environment an LVM volume group is shared to two or more nodes that have write privileges.

It???s a complicated setup that requires special usages of LVM, oracle, kernel parameters and kernel drivers like asyncdsk and the -S option in vgchange / LVM.

In regards to your question, I think it should be posed to the application layer people since there is such a wide disparity between HP-UX and Windows and so much coordination needed from several utilities.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law