108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA7100 Firmware and SDM Upgrades

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

VA7100 Firmware and SDM Upgrades

Hi. I am sorry if this question has been asked before - I remember reading something about it, but I've been searching for hours now and can't find it. So here it is:

I have an N-class machine running HP-UX 11.0 with a VA7100 Array. My current SDM version is A.01.00 (I got that from swlist). My current firmware revision is HP01.

I need to upgrade to firmware revision HP15 and SDM version 1.04. What's the best (safest - I really don't want to lose my data and have to restore) path?

The HP rep who will be doing the upgrade said I need SDM 1.04 before he can do the HP15 firmware upgrade. The SDM 1.04 tells me I need at least firmware revision HP11 before I can install it.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

9 REPLIES 9
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: VA7100 Firmware and SDM Upgrades

You should be able to load CV SDM 1.04 to perform the upgrade, but I wouldn't allow it to monitor the array or make any changes at all with that HP01 firmware in there.

So, you should load CV 1.04, then immediately upgrade the FW.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the response.

Someone here said that we should do the firmware first and then the SDM. Does the order really matter as long as we end up with the current versions of both in the end?
uspfoms
Regular Advisor

The SDM 1.04 must be installed first, HP Service note: A6206A-06 is what your
Hp CE needs to review b4 trying this firmware upgrade.
My Hp CE managed to wipe out
my data and then had to talk to a HP GURU for 3 hrs to get it back. Bottom line BACK UP EVERYTHING and get a Hp CE that knows what he/she is doing.....
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

I am searching for the note you mentioned, but have been unable to find it. Do you have a copy, or know where I can get one?
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

The latest FW for the VA7100 is HP16 (May 30) now. The service note is A6206A-06B.

Depending on your level of service contract, you may or may not have access to Service Notes online.

Your HP CE does have access, however. I can tell you that it states that the CommandView must be installed prior to the firmware.

The steps outlined in the service note are:

1. Perform FULL backup of data.
2. Remove old CommandView
3. Install new CommandView
4. Upgrade FW.

Good luck!
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Vincent,

Thanks. I must not have access to the notes. I appreciate the summary of the steps. One last question (for now anyway).

In your first respnse you stated:

"You should be able to load CV SDM 1.04 to perform the upgrade, but I wouldn't allow it to monitor the array or make any changes at all with that HP01 firmware in there"

How do I prevent it from doing this. The CE who is coming out told me on the phone that he does not know anything about installing the SDM - so I don't want to assume he will know how to do this.

Thanks Again!
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

To prevent CV from actively managing the array, you should stop the service immediately after installation. (I forget, but I don't think it automatically starts, but run the stop script anyway)

The start/stop scripts are:

/opt/sanmgr/commandview/client/sbin/HA_Dial_Stop and HA_Dial_Start, if I remember correctly.

So, in total, you should use the swremove facility to remove CV SDM, rm -fR /opt/sanmgr /etc/opt/sanmgr /var/opt/sanmgr then swinstall the new revision.

Then run HA_Dial_Stop (just to be sure - it's not strictly required, but HP01 is very old, and I'm conservative), and use the armdownload command line utility to download the FW.

There are several interim steps that your CE needs to perform, which are listed in the service note, but the above is the basic workflow. Request that he prints it and brings it along if you're nervous about it.

Good luck!
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the assistance. We just finsished the upgrade and all appears to be well so far.
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Just for anyone else wo may be reading this, the process we used was as follows:

1) Upgrade the CVSDM to 1.04
2) Shutdown the system
3) Upgrade the firmware
4) Boot Up
5) Apply Hardware Enablement Bundle HWE1100.depot (I was supposed to do this fist, but forgot, it did not seem to matter).
6) Switch to autoraid mode (armmgr -C HPAutoRAID device_name)
7) Allocate the free space...

Thanks All.