Disk Enclosures
1751894 Members
5161 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA7100 battery -- how long can it maintain firmware state?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John MacLerran
Advisor

VA7100 battery -- how long can it maintain firmware state?

Hi Everyone,

Question: How long can the battery in the VA7100 maintain the settings in firmware?

The reason I ask is that we will be experiencing a planned power outage on December 23. The local utility is doing some maintenance work on the main campus switchbox, and they need to shut off all power. We have UPS backup, but only for about 20 minutes, and the maintenance work could take up to 4 hours. CommandView reports that both batteries are good, but I don't know, for sure, what that means.

Thank You.
John MacLerran
Idaho State University
macljohn@isu.edu
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VA7100 battery -- how long can it maintain firmware state?

JOhn,
the battery seems to maintain the DIMMs for 3.5 days.

Please confirm via:
Page 22, Chapter 4

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:QoBHlte1n2UJ:www.hp.com/products1/evolution/e3000/download/52430407a.pdf+VA7100+battery+life&hl=en
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Peter is correct. The documents point to 3.5 days of battery life in case of power loss.

I have actually checked a VA7410 without power for 3 days and there was no problem. Every information was intact in the VA.

so if it is only 4 hours without power, you need not worry. But I have a feeling that you are planning to leave the VA without power over the Christmas weekend. :-)

Hope this helps.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
John MacLerran
Advisor

Thanks! I verified, and 3.5 days it is.

Actually, I don't intend to leave the system off over the Christmas weekend. Our grading period for this semester ends on Dec 20th, so we'll have lots of students checking their grades over the Christmas holiday, making sure they got the grade to take their next class.