5210 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7100 firmware update

Sunil Kumar K.U.
Frequent Advisor

VA7100 firmware update

Hello all,

I have a VA7100 connected to both the partitions of a rp8400 server through a HP 8-port FC switch. Currently the firmware is HP15 and an update to HP18 was planned.

As per the service note, the patch bundle (Dec 2002) and command view SDM version 1.06 were loaded. After making the VG's offline and the array optimisation policy off the firmware download command was given. The update failed with the below error:

Firmware revision before update is HP15
Performing firmware download on A6188A
Device Exception:
Failed the Write Buffer command

Did anybody here face similar error anytime? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Regards/Sunil Kumar

10 REPLIES 10
Leo Simon
Valued Contributor

The best way to upgrade the VA7100 firmware is using offline tools VADIAG in ODE and also
using direct connection in FC.
And use only 1GB configuration not 2 GB

I hope this will help you.
help each other with love
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

Hi Sunil

Tell me one thing, when you run armdsp -a alias, which firmware version do you see? If you see HP18 then everything is ok.

Bye
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"
Claudiu Schmidt
Valued Contributor

Hi,

we had a simmilar problem. The download stopped at 79% with the same error message.
armdsp -a command displayed the new firmware, and HP told me everything is ok.
This was 3 weeks ago, and since then no problems occured.So if you see in armdsp -a HP18 it's ok
Sunil Kumar K.U.
Frequent Advisor

Hello all,

Thank you very much for the replies.

Simon: Doing Firmware update from ODE is a goog suggestion. Has anyone done this from ODE. The service note says this is to be done if you are booting from a vat100 LUN.

Rocha and claudiu: I have confirmed that the va7100 is still at HP15 firmware.

Any clue/solution for this?

Thanks/Regards
Sunil Kumar
Sunil Kumar K.U.
Frequent Advisor

Hello all,

Thank you very much for the replies.

Simon: Doing Firmware update from ODE is a good suggestion. Has anyone done this from ODE. The service note says this is to be done if the server boots from a vat7100 LUN.

Rocha and claudiu: I have confirmed that the va7100 is still at HP15 firmware.

Any clue/solution for this?

Thanks/Regards
Sunil Kumar
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please attach 'armdsp -a' output and 'armlog -e' zipped to your next reply
Eugeny
Sunil Kumar K.U.
Frequent Advisor

Hi Eugeny,

Thanks for the reply. Pls find the attached logs.zip file which contains armlog -e and armdsp -a outputs.

Any clue?

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

Regards/Sunil Kumar
Claudiu Schmidt
Valued Contributor

Hi,

looked at the logs you sent. It looks to me like you have a HW error. One controler M/C1.J1
has a hw problem on the backend side, so you have to exchange the controler 1 of the main enclosure so the firmware upgrade to be succesfull.

Claudiu
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Hello Sunil,
please review your SAN setup. If you use hpux server, HP switch (brocade 2400 one) and virtual array then why do I see that VA setup in public loop? It should be in fabric (and all other devices should be in fabric also). You can change it with 'armmgr -y' or from virtual front panel 'vfpmgr -t 3 -c '. Please note that after doing this device files may change (so all created hpux vgs may become invalid - you may use vgimport/vgexport, please refer to hpux section of ITRC forum).
This procedure - firmware upgrade - should be done by HP Customer Engineer. Why do you do it by yourself? Do you have upgrade procedure steps/action plan? Did you make sure that you have recent data backup?
I agree with Claudiu that there may be something wrong with M/C1 logging backend disconnects. Ask a CE to replace it and watch for these jbod events
Eugeny