108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7100

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

VA7100

Can someone explain me Hostmode with reference to the VA Array. What is the difference between Host mode and Host Port Behaviour and LUN Security??

Thanks,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
4 REPLIES 4
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Karthik,

not sure about "host mode" but I would take it is the same as "host port behaviour".

basically it is a mapping of WWNs of host HBAs and FC dialects. So you can have your VA attached to an FC switch and also have a HP-UX machine and a Windoze machine with FC adapters connected to the switch.

Using "host port behaviour table" the VA controllers "talk" the appropriate FC "dialect".

Using a secure manager table you can make the desired LUNs visible to *only* certain HBAs (so that you Windoze box does not accitentially write a signature on a LUN that you HP-UX machine uses).

man armhost
man armsecure

Regards
Bernhard
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Bernhard,

XP Arrays have something called host groups and host mode. Is there any similar feature available with VA??

Thanks,
-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Any more inputs on this??

-Karthik S S
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Karthik,

sure there is such a thing on XP arrays, the naming is certainly different, pretty lgood chances the HDS guys called it "host mode" (can't remember). I would not know what it should be other than the "host port behaviour".

Regards,
Bernhard