108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA7400 max number of jbods / disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Spurr
Occasional Contributor

VA7400 max number of jbods / disks

I've been told by a number of different HP engineers that the VA7400 performs best with no more than 3 jbods connected - i.e. up to 60 disks - although you can connect up to 6 jbods, more than 60 disks will hit performance. I can understand why this may be the case, as more disks for the same controllers & cache to handle could very well be slower. I guess it depends a lot on how much of the two RG's get allocated to LUNs and then used.

Has anyone had any experience of this 3 jbod limit? And does anyone know how much of a performance hit too many disks causes?

Thanks,
Richard.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VA7400 max number of jbods / disks

Richard
The performance of the VA7400 will increase by adding drives up to 60. This is due to more spindles will be capable of delivering more IO/sec. After that you will not get more performance becaus you will hit the performanc limits of the controllers and the two Fibre Channel loops.
But: YOU WILL NOT SEE A DECREASE IN PERFORMANCE! Theoretically the loop performance will drop a little due to more disk in the loops, but this is marginal.
If you now need more performance you can upgrade to a 7410 which has 4 2Gbit/sec frontend and 4 2Gbit/sec backend FC loops and faster controllers. The even JBODS will be connected 2 loops and the odd JBODS to the 2 other loops. See the attached Product Brief
Regards
Peter
I love storage
aliasgar
Valued Contributor

Hello ,

I went through the web site of HP,but i couldn't find any info on VA7410.The pdf document has the link www.hp.com/go/diskarrays,but couldn't find any info ,i would like to have more info about this product.

Thanks.
aliasgar
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry!
The public announcement has been postponed from July 1st to July 16th.
So you'll have to wait another week.
Sorry, Peter
I love storage