1748186 Members
4394 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 optimum performance

kirit_2
Frequent Advisor

VA7400 optimum performance

I would like to know about what should be the usage capacity of VA7400 for optimum performance.

For my case we have one main enclosure ( 15 disks 0f 73 GB ) and one JBOD ( 5 disks of 73 GB).

VA7400 with dual controller and 512 MB RAM.

raid level is AUTORAID.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You will get best performance in RAID01 mode or if occupancy in AUTORAID mode is low enough to store all data in RAID01.
In your case this is round 600GB allocated to LUNs.

To find out more about performance behavior of the VA7400 I suggest you have a look at the user guide (Product features)
http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00088801/c00088801.pdf
and the attached performance whitepaper.

Cheers
Peter

I love storage
kirit_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I attach some more data of VA7400, if you can look into this special case and advice.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I can not open your attachment "122468.null"!
Peter
I love storage
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Peter,
it is a simple text file. You can save it to a local disk first.
kirit_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Please find attachment again.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Well, you have allocated almost all available capacity in AUTORAID mode.
This means that a major part of your data has to be stored in RAID5DP which is not bad, but will affect performance when doing lots of small random writes.
In a read dominant environment or when you are writing large junks RAID5DP performs well.

If you want to improve the RAID01 / RAID5DP ratio, just add some more disks. The VA7400 will then migrate data to RAID01.

To find out the real RAID5DP allocation of your VA use Command View go to the performance tab, modify your view: select RAID1 and RAID5DP allocation option.
This will show the ratio.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

There are many ways to tune HP-UX I/O performance such as scsi queue depth, buffer cache size (larger not always better) and mount options, so don't just concentrate on the array.
Mom 6