Disk Enclosures
1748265 Members
3563 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VA7400 with warning states: Secure Mode, Battery failure, Non-redundant disk access

SOLVED
Go to solution
Naqiud
Advisor

VA7400 with warning states: Secure Mode, Battery failure, Non-redundant disk access

Hi,

May i know what i should do if both of my disk enclosure had battery failure at one of the controller card?

1st Enclosure

Warning states:

Secure Mode,

Battery failure

Non-redundant disk access

2nd Enclosure

Warning states:
Secure Mode

Battery failure

If i would like to replace the both battery at these 2 different enclosure, is it enough for me to replace the failed battery? or i need to replace both battery for both enclosure?

Please refer the attachment for the print screen.

Please help and advise.

thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Re: VA7400 with warning states: Secure Mode, Battery failure, Non-redundant disk access

just replace FAILED batteries in those controller on which they were installed.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Secure mode means no cache, data and metadata will be always written to the disks directly (slow!) because of the failed batteries.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Naqiud
Advisor

is it enough for me to replace the 1 failed battery or need to replace both battery at the enclosure??
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Each controller has a battery, so the array has 2. Better replace both, if both are failed.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

check from rear side of all the controllers, if you see "battery" yellow light, replace the battery on that right controller. 

just remember one thing, new battery would need times to charge, so the array status would remain warning and array status light remain yellow right after the replacement of the failed battery, as I remember, the array would become ready after the battery at its about 40% charged.

regards

Stephen

Naqiud
Advisor

understood. but currently, each array had 1 failed battery on 1of the controller. I already bought 2 batteries to replace the failed battery at each array. Is that correct?
Cause i did read service guide, they advised to replace both battery at both controller at the array if one of the battery failed at the array.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This probably assumes, if one battery is too old and must be replaced, the other has the same age and will likely fail too soon.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Naqiud
Advisor

btw, i manage to replace the faulty disk.. but still the blinking amber light still on for all disk at one the enclosure.. what is the possibility that cause the issue? is that cause by "non redundant disk access" warning state?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Post the output of

# armdsp -a <array-alias>

# armdsp -t <array-alias>

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.