Disk Enclosures
1753840 Members
9349 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VA7410 HELP NEEDED!

tony larco

VA7410 HELP NEEDED!

Good day ladies and gents! One of our clients recently purchased a new rp5470 server running HPUX 11i and a va7410 array. Its going to be running a production application and Sybase. I have been reading thru the posts and they contain a ton of valuable info. In a nutshell, how many LUNs should I create for something like this? The 7410 is only plugged into the new rp5470 with the two controllers. I just need a good starting point. I am very familiar with LVM, but the LUNs and RG's have been throwing me for a loop. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the client wants to fly the application people in Monday to start building this thing. Kind regards,

Tony
1 REPLY 1
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: VA7410 HELP NEEDED!

Tony,
you can create up to 1024 LUNs with VA7410.
For perfomance reasons primary path for LUNs created within RG1 should go through VA controller 1, and for LUNs within RG2 through C2. If you need only one big volume you can create two LUNs in RG1 and RG2 and then merge them in one VG. But, as soon as you have only one host, this configuration will not create I/O concurrency for disk array to load it appropriately. In order to achieve concurrency you can create more LUNs, balancing them across RGs, then stripe them into one VG to allow OS to read them in parallel.
Example: you need 3 VGs for database. Create 6 LUNs, 3 in RG1 and 3 in RG2, then merge (stripe) each 2 LUNs from different RGs into one VG.
These are my thoughts. Let's see what other people will recommend
Eugeny