1753702 Members
5038 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7410 shows backend links down

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

VA7410 shows backend links down

Greetings. I have a va7410 with one extra shelf, connected to rx6600. It has dual controllers. I had to power down for maintenance yesterday. On restart, the array will not come up. On the main shelf, all disks have green/yellow after selftest. Armdsp -c shows both back port links down for both controllers, though there is one connection to the 2nd shelf on each controller. All lights on the back are green. All components show good from armdsp -c (attached). Armdsp -a shows "device not ready". Help!:(
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dave, I would do a shutdown of both devices, then power on the JBOD, wait, then power on the VA. Can you share the "armdsp -a" after this?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I powered both off. Turned on the jbod, waited until all solid green, then turned on VA. Same results as before.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you change the cabling somehow?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

The problem seems to be that the array sees no disks at all - not just the second shelf. An armdsp -d VA13 returns "NO disks were found to be installed". Is this a hardware failure in the main enclosure?
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Connecting the array to a terminal, I determined the va could not see any disks on the main shelf. I removed them all and tried 4 spare disks in the unit. It COULD see those. I removed those, and replaced the original disks and now it could see them all - though the first 4 were "not included" status. A format was required to make the unit operational. Very strange.