1751975 Members
4678 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Very frequent disks failures in my EVA 4400

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Very frequent disks failures in my EVA 4400

There are very frequent failures of disk drives in my EVA 4400. I don't know the reason why this is happening. At time 3 disks can fail simultaneously.Thank God that 99% of the failures are only happening among the UNGROUPED disks, but this is very surprising.

Please Advice.
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The problem is with the disk drive enclosure I/O modules. The disks are very often fine and keep working after you have reseated them.
Yaboto
Super Advisor

I have been trying to resit the disks, but in average 98% of the cases, it is still the same scenario.

I have just upgraded the EVA controller firmware from 09522000.SSS to 09534000.SSS successfully, but just after that, 4 disks started showing amber light with FAIL status. The failed disks after the firmware upgrade include 2 previously failed ones that have been resat with green light and 2 new ones: All from the UNGROUP DISKS fortunately.

How can this behaviour be interpreted ?

The firmware revision of the disks is HP06.
Do you recommend a Firmware Upgrade for the disks ?

Please Advice.

Best Regards,
Yaboto
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

From which XCS release did you do the upgrade?
In some cases it is necessary to do a full power-cycle.
In all cases it is necessary to verify that every disk drive enclosure's I/O module has accepted the new firmware.

> The firmware revision of the disks is HP06.

This doesn't mean much to me, sorry. There are different models sold, sometimes with the same, sometimes with a different revision number as 'current'.

But yes, please upgrade to the most recent bundle as suggested in the other thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1453006
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,
do you have many ungrouped disks?
Why?
Yaboto
Super Advisor

I have 23 grouped disks (default disk group) and 13 ungrouped disks.

I left some disks ungrouped as a way of managing the space allocation: we may need some disks in reserve to create a second disk group in the future.

Please what do you advice me ?
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Please Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If all disk drives are of the same size - put them in one disk group, now. This gives you the best space management - you can always grow an existing virtual disk as long as you cross the 2 TeraBytes barrier and allows all I/Os spread across all disk drives.

It also gives you the most capacity, because with two disk groups you have two so-called "disk group protection levels" (they don't "protect" anything in the form of VRAID, but are the equivalent of virtualized spare disks).