108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtualizing EVA5K (Upgraded VCS) on an XP12000 Using External Storage/XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Virtualizing EVA5K (Upgraded VCS) on an XP12000 Using External Storage/XP

Is anyone using External Storage/XP on an XP12K or XP10K? External Storage/XP is an option on XP12K/10K that allows "supported arrays" to be virtualized by the XP12/XP10K as if they are XP LUNs...

I know MSAs, older XPs and newer generation EVAs (4/6/8K) are supported but what about EVA5K with the upgraded VCS (4.004)? Are these also supported?

And those of you running something similar, does this mean the EVA5K's CommandView is rendered obsolete once an EVA5K is virtualized by the XP?

Many thanks...

Hakuna Matata.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Nelson

1. EVA5000 Actice/Active
Yes, this is perfectly supported!
EVA3000/5000 are supported A/S with VCS 3.028
EVA3000/5000 are supported A/A with VCS 4.001 and higher.

You can either dedicate the whole EVA for use as External Storage or just some LUNs.

2. EVA CV obsolete
No, in order to setup, manage, forward errors and connect to ISEE you still need CV EVA.

Think of an EVA LUN presented to the XP as an XP internal LDEV.

I attach 4 slides out of my technical XP presentation showing how it works and what external arrays are supported.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Thanks Petre,

A few more questions:

1.) Is there a Best Practice Document say for an EVA5K to be virtualized by an XP12K?Can the virtualized Vdisks be carved up by the XP and doubly cached?

2.) How is External Storage/XP Licensed?

3.) Is it possible for certain LUNS/Vdisks of the EVA be virtualized to the XP12K whilst others remain presented normally to the SAN/Servers? I think it is but I need a clarification.

4.) Can we do BusinessCopy between XP LUNs and EVA virtualized Vdisks?

5.) Can we transfer our BusinessCopy licenses on our EVA5Ks over to the XP12K?

Thanks.
Hakuna Matata.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

1.) Is there a Best Practice Document say for an EVA5K to be virtualized by an XP12K?Can the virtualized Vdisks be carved up by the XP and doubly cached?

Go to the Array Whitepaper page http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/arraywhitepapers.html
Here you find among others an External Storage WP.

Then also see the External Storage User Guide http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00720410/c00720410.pdf

2.) How is External Storage/XP Licensed?

It is licensed by net TB attached up to 127TB, then it will be unlimited.
The license includes the required licenses for LUN Config & Secure Manager
Alos see: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12066_div/12066_div.HTML

3.) Is it possible for certain LUNS/Vdisks of the EVA be virtualized to the XP12K whilst others remain presented normally to the SAN/Servers? I think it is but I need a clarification.

Yes, it is supported. However be careful not overloading the EVA!

4.) Can we do BusinessCopy between XP LUNs and EVA virtualized Vdisks?

Yes, also supported.
Just recently we introduced support for presenting a BC S-Vol directly when split.

5.) Can we transfer our BusinessCopy licenses on our EVA5Ks over to the XP12K?

No, this is not possible!

Peter
I love storage