1752546 Members
4441 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VxVM and Clarrion

Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

VxVM and Clarrion

Anyone know where I can find documentation on VxVM support on Clarrion. Looked in the vxvm 3.5 release notes and Hardware notes. Nothing there. What we want to do is install HP-UX 11iv2 (Sept release) using Vxvm on an EMC Clarrion.
6 REPLIES 6
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Re: VxVM and Clarrion

It should be supported.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/252364.htm

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Zinky
Honored Contributor

BTW, DMP is supported but in a Active/Passive mode -- meaning only one FC path is active. You may however use PowerPath or whatever the Clarion is using nowadays for path protection and/or load-balancing.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

EMC POWERPATH is the best choice for redundancy and it also load balances. Second Vxvm works fine... The base OS version works fine, HFS works fine and ONline JFS works fine...

I am using all of the above currently except Online JFS.

Tim
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Tim.. are you saying you do not use OnlineJFS (aka Full VxFS) and you're simply using JFS (base VxFS)? How are you able to grow filesystems online?

I am not sure if PowerPath is always a requirement for EMC arrays these days (Clarion included) but Array based pathing software takes precedence from what the volume manager (LVM's PVLINKs or VxVM's DMP) offers. Most arrays I have dealt with are pretty much at home (and behave better) with VxVM DMP or MPIO on Linux and Windows platforms.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply's guys. Nelson your refference above is for 11iv1 and I do not have access to the Veritas site. Have they got any refference to 11iv23? So far I have been advised that Powerpath is the way to go on Clarrion, what about the Symetrics which supply active/active paths?
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Run VXVM with powerpath for load balansing and failover.